Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot create ISO image in Boot Camp on to the flash drive

After following all the steps of the article: Boot Camp: Creating an ISO........

In step 21 the progress bar reached 50% then stop a message appears Cann't establish connection?

My internet connection is fine,the documents have been copied on the 32GB flash drive formatted in FAT32,

Repeated ,change flash drives, created another image from new DVD,

Unable to finish this process?

Any ideas?

MacPro Xeon 3Mhz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 8:29 PM

9 replies

Feb 28, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Loner T

Thank you for your answer, about the process behind step 21 this is effectively the message I received (enclosed)

"Can't download the software because of a network problem."

My connection is wired and Wifi and the ISP come from Verizon FIOS (got a download 315 and upload75kbps)

I tried to disconnect one or the other (one at one time) with the same result,

I got the Safari, mail and the pdf download and printed for "Boot Camp install" without a hitch I read most of the posting of Loner T on the communities,

I've tried the USB2 port (time 6), after you indicate not to use the USB port3, I've also used different USB blank flash drive 16GB and 32GB fast reading USB2,

I've erased the flash drive with on zero reformatted them with FAT 32 with or without one partition. The Windows DVD is brand new 64bit 8.1 Pro. I've downloaded the latest Boot Camp support files appropriate for my model Mac pro Dec2013 on a USB2 Flash drive., I have an Apple plug in DVD reader on a USB 3 port,

I'm not reaching anywhere and I'm still at square one,

Now I'm thinking about doing what you advise to MarieBlight on February 19th, the only thing I'm missing is you say "After you get the ISO on the Mac used the links I posted earlier to start windows installation " I can't find this link? may be much older link? please would you mind posting this link again,

Any idea you may have is more than welcome as I'm short of any others ways at this point,

Thank you again for the time you devoted to this endeavor;

Nazaire,

Feb 28, 2015 9:23 AM in response to nazaire

Your MacPro is a UEFI model based on How to identify Mac Pro models - Apple Support since it has a Model Identifier of 6,1. From Bootcamp Info.plist

<key>PreUEFIModels</key>

<array>

<string>MacBook7</string>

<string>MacBookAir5</string>

<string>MacBookPro10</string>

<string>MacPro5</string>

<string>Macmini6</string>

<string>iMac13</string>

</array>

1. Use Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems - Apple Support to download the appropriate drivers from the Apple servers manually to a flash drive. You will need Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5640.

System Requirements

• MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Mid 2013)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch & 15-inch, Late 2013)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Late 2013)
  • Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, 64 bit

2. Remove all physical external drives except the OS X and the designated Windows drive. Manually partition your drive and create a Free Space partition of the size you want. This will be split into a 128MB MSR and remainder MS Data partition. This is called EFI installation of Windows.

3. Insert your Windows DVD in the built-in Optical Drive.

4. Plug-in your USB2 flash drive from step 1. Remove all other external peripherals, except Keyboard/Mouse/Display. The Keyboard/Mouse being wired eliminates issues with Bluetooth.

5. Start BCA and choose the last option 'Install/Remove Windows'. Choose the EFI Boot from the DVD. You can also do the same using the Alt/Option key when powering up the MacPro.

6. Windows installer should start. If it does not, please post back with any error messages.

I assume that you have not modified Bootcamp info.plist to try and create a bootable USB.

Mar 6, 2015 10:40 PM in response to Loner T

Reply to Loner T

I was not close to my desktop for a week, and I've resolved some problems and create some others that I like to solve:

After following the indicated steps 1-2--3-4-5 in 6, the BCA started,recognized the USB2 flash drive and started partitioning ,now I have a FAT 32 portion but the BCA froze and didn't recognized the new DVD in the reader plugged into a USB3 port, no message, only option offered erase FAT32 and reverse to one partition, so I did,

Now on for troubles as they appeared, the functioning of software implementation became extremely slow as well as the data download 10 to 1 approximately and with messages like " The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk",

This MacPro 6.1 came with a one TB SSD that I have partitioned it into 150GB and 850GB using Apple DiskUtility app (without erase, using the apple factory OS 10.10.2 installed on the 850 side) downloaded a brand-new OS 10.10.2 and installed it on the 150 side, now I have two booting partition and I was working on the 150GB side, so I erased this side with a set. a zero, and left the Mac OS extended (journaled) format, then used disk first aid to verify that the disk indicate ...appears to be OK, so installed again a new apple downloaded 10.10.2, and booted on the 150GB,

This time I was able to do all the steps indicated in the apple support article"Boot Camp: Creating an ISO image"

Steps 1-23 were fine I decided in the process when asked by the BCA to split in half, now I have a new 74GB NTSF partition with Windows 8.1 called BootCamp by the BCA and I have a 74GB partition with a Mac OS 10.10.2,

Here is the dilemma to solve, this comes right back to your other more recent lead:

Volume "Boot Camp" partition missing after resizing OSX partition,

When I'm working with the 74GB Mac partition and I want to switch to Windows absolutely NO problems, the 3 icons of the partitions appear in the finder and if I go to the system preferences start up disk 3 icons are there as they are as well in Disk Utility, normal functioning,

When booted on the 850MB Mac partition:

The icon of the Boot Camp partition doesn't show neither in the finder, or in System preferences start up disk,

However this 75Mb Boot Camp appears using disk utilities: either with Drive Genius which shows this partition is not mounted, or apple disk utility the icon is there but not mounted, with a right click on it, and with either choice of "Show in finder" or "Mount this disk" the following message is returned :

Mount failed

NTFS-3G could not mount/dev/disk0s4

at /Volumes/BOOTCAMP because the following problem occured:

/Library/Filesystems/fusefs,fs/Support/fusefs,kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) link error; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

The MacFuse file system is not available (71)

Please help me solve this out,

My goal is to be able to go to the 850 system preferences-startup Disk and be able to restart to the Boot Camp partition directly from the 850MB Mac partition without to have to restart in the 74MB Mac partition first, where I'm easily able to switch to the 74MB Boot Camp,

Thank you for your help,

Nazaire,

Mar 7, 2015 6:41 AM in response to nazaire

NTFS-3g and Apple NTFS native driver have conflicts. Apple will not allow any Windows partition that is not controlled by it to show in System Preferences -> Startup Disk. This is also shown when you boot from the second OS X installation ("I have a 74GB partition with a Mac OS 10.10.2") which does not have NTFS-3g.

The NTFS-3g 2010 version has a UI which allows disabling NTFS-3g for a specific NTFS volume. The MacPort version does not have that part last time i checked. I use the 2010 version which also requires a fuse_wait patch for a timer issue.

Try disabling NTFS-3g on "using the apple factory OS 10.10.2 installed on the 850 side" partition and test.

Mar 7, 2015 8:25 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T,

I appreciate your prompt answer,

I've downloaded the free MacFuse and read the developer website,then I got the free NTSF-3g for Mac OSX 2010.5.22 from CNET download.com and read the manual from Erik Larson, the Tuxera NTFS for Mac is more recent with experts support but it is $31.00 so I passed and "In order to install Tuxera NTFS for Mac, the computer must have uninstalled any other third-party NTFS software", then I went to the rEFIt project 0.14, "rEFIt boot manager for better control of the boot process".promising but the work progress stopped in 2013, still adequate?

I fully agree with your statement of the first line: conflict between NTFS-3G and Apple NTFS:

"Apple does not allow any volumes that are mounted with third party file system drivers to appear in the “Startup Disk” preference pane. This is hard coded, and something that we cannot change." and Apple care hasn't been very clear to what are the options?

Eventually I've decided I've invested enough of my time trying to solve this conflict, so I've turned to alternative methods for booting into Windows:

"Hold down the Option key during boot (or Alt for non-Apple keyboards). This brings up a boot menu where you can choose which volume to start your computer from"

"Booting Windows or Linux from the second (third, fourth, ...) internal hard disk through rEFIt currently does not work as expected.

According to Apple’s Boot Camp FAQ any internal disk works, so you may be able to boot from the second disk using the built-in boot menu. Hold down the Option key during startup to activate that boot menu." (Statements I got from the rEFIt website),

Indeed this work very well and hasn't created any Apple conflicts and it's as quick as using the System Preferences-Startup disk, that I'll use for booting from the other Mac partition,

Thank for all your good ideas,

nazaire

Mar 8, 2015 7:19 PM in response to Loner T

This is indeed a very instructive site and up-to-date, I read it with great interest, however at this stage I don't intend to experiment with this implementation: three of my excuses:

Known bugs that need squashing:

"Some Macs experience problems with waking up from suspend states when rEFInd is installed."

"Yosemite now uses a type of logical volume management (LVM). The EFI built into the computer can't read from LVM, so an installation of rEFInd on the OS X root is rendered useless."

I've to recognize my IT skills aren't at the software programming level, needed according to the author:

"I recommend stopping here, because the procedure for completely removing rEFInd from a Mac depends on your installation method and tends to be challenging for many Mac users, who are unfamiliar with the necessary command-line tools"

cannot create ISO image in Boot Camp on to the flash drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.