Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading iCloud Pics

I figured out how to download my pics to iCloud, now I want to delete them from my phone, but don't want them deleted off my iCloud....how do I do that? When I delete the pics from my phone currently, it's deleting them from iCloud.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 5:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 5:23 PM

Which part of iCloud are you using? PhotoStream? Photo Sharing? iCloud Photo Library Beta?

All these iCloud Services will delete the photos from iCloud, if you delete the from your iPhone without first signing out of iCloud. If you need to save space on your iPhone use iCloud Photo Library (Beta) to store your photos in iCloud, but enable the option "Optimise iPhone Storage" in "Settings > Photos & Camera". This way, the full versions of your photos will be stored in iCloud, and only smaller, optimised versions on your iPhone.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2015 5:23 PM in response to dianefrombluffton

Which part of iCloud are you using? PhotoStream? Photo Sharing? iCloud Photo Library Beta?

All these iCloud Services will delete the photos from iCloud, if you delete the from your iPhone without first signing out of iCloud. If you need to save space on your iPhone use iCloud Photo Library (Beta) to store your photos in iCloud, but enable the option "Optimise iPhone Storage" in "Settings > Photos & Camera". This way, the full versions of your photos will be stored in iCloud, and only smaller, optimised versions on your iPhone.

Feb 28, 2015 3:26 PM in response to dianefrombluffton

So it sounds like there's no way to delete them off my phone but keep them on iCloud? I thought I could store them forever! . Thanks for your reply and help!

Yes, you'll need at least to store the optimized versions.

If you want to move photos off your iPhone completely, download them to a computer and archive them there. Store them on an external drive or burn them to to CD/DVD.

Downloading iCloud Pics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.