Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need a modem with airport extreme even if I have a modem in another room?

I recently purchased an airport extreme (5th generation) used and in perfect condition. However, I am not as understanding with internet. I googled it and I do need a modem for it, but I have a modem in another room of the house. Will I need to call my cable provider (Charter) and get another one and will getting another modem cost money? If so how much? Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 5:18 PM

5 replies

Feb 27, 2015 5:32 PM in response to Foxy754

A second modem is not needed since the AirPort Extreme will connect to your existing modem by means of a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection.

Ethernet cabling can be run up to about 330 feet.....or 100 meters.....with virtually no signal loss, so you should be able to locate the AirPort Extreme virtually anywhere that you want.....unless you have a very large estate.

The Setup Guide linked below will provide more information, if needed.

AirPort Extreme Setup Guide - Apple

Feb 27, 2015 9:05 PM in response to Foxy754

It is not possible to have the AirPort Extreme connect to your existing modem over wireless, if that is what you are asking. The connection between the AirPort Extreme and modem must be wired. The best and most reliable way to do this is using an Ethernet cable.

If you cannot run the Ethernet cable, then a pair of Ethernet Over Powerline (EOP) adapters might be able to send the signal over the existing AC powerlines in your home.

The theory with these devices is that you already have the wiring in place, you just need the adapters. In practice, things do not always work as well as the theory might suggest. After all, you are trying to send a very low voltage signal over high voltage lines....quite a challenge.

So, if you decide to try a pair of EOP adapters (I'm not recommending that you do, simply pointing out that they might be an option), it would be wise to make sure that you understand the store's return policy in advance, before you buy.

The bottom line is that you will not know how well......or even if......the EOP adapters will work in your home until you try them out in your home, since every home installation is different.

Any computer / electronics superstore will have a selection of EOP adapters, sometimes called HomePlug adapters, on hand. Ask the salesperson what they would recommend for your installation. Good luck!

"Is there a way to/how do I wipe it?"

Sorry, I'm afraid that I don't understand what you are asking here. If you are asking about erasing the current network settings that might be in place on the AirPort Extreme, a Hard Reset will do this. Please refer to this subject in the Setup Guide.

Do I need a modem with airport extreme even if I have a modem in another room?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.