Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is an alternative download for microsoftt word using a mac bookair?

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 5:48 PM

3 replies

Feb 27, 2015 6:19 PM in response to jasireemorris

Office 2004 and Other Applications Don't Work in Lion/Mountain Lion

If you have Office 2004 which is a PPC-only suite, it will not work in Lion/Mountain Lion. You need to upgrade to Office 2011 - Mactopia - or you can try the freeware suite, Libre Office, that is functionally similar to Office 2007 for Windows except it works on Lion/Mountain Lion.

You may want to consider as well:

These two suites are similar to Libre Office but not as current or as well-supported:

NeoOffice

Open Office

And, then there is Apple's iWork suite:

Pages - word processing and layout

Keynote - presentation

Numbers - spreadsheet

Each can open and save Office compatible files. They may be purchased separately via the Mac App Store for $19.99 each.

As for other software, any PPC-based software will not run in Lion or Mountain Lion because Rosetta is no longer part of OS X. You will need to upgrade to Intel versions of the software.

(Access to the Mac App Store requires Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or higher and an Apple ID.)

Feb 28, 2015 10:47 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Office 2004 and Other Applications Don't Work in Lion/Mountain Lion

As for other software, any PPC-based software will not run in Lion or Mountain Lion because Rosetta is no longer part of OS X. You will need to upgrade to Intel versions of the software.

(Access to the Mac App Store requires Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or higher and an Apple ID.)

I almost always agree, that when an affordable upgrade option exists, such as MS Office 2011 or Libre Office, that is the best option available.

But when an upgrade option or alternative Intel based software does not exist (such as for Appleworks databases, Freehand MX and college students being given PPC CD-ROMs with their textbooks), I am surprised that you do not indicate the alternative for these "Other Applications [that] Don't Work in Lion/Mountain Lion[/Mavericks/Yosemite}" as virtualizing Snow Leopard to regain access to Rosetta, as many others, including myself, suggest!?

If you mention it, then there is no reason for one of the others of us to come to the thread and further "clutter" it! 🙂

For example, I often link to:

Installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels 10 for DUMMIES:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17285039&postcount=564

Or, for those interested in a more generalized discussion of installing Snow Leopard into Parallels:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.