Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie crashed while transferring project — how to restore what may have been lost?

I'm using iMovie 10.0.3 on a MacBook Air. I started a rather large project and the library took up considerable space, to the point I got warnings. I connected a compatible drive, created a new library on it, and moved my enormous event/project-set to it.

In the middle of the move (the activity indicator pie was maybe one-fifth full), I examined at a different, local project, thinking I should keep looking at iMovie in case it had something important to tell me. This turned out to be stupid — as soon as I made a tiny change, iMovie freaked out that it couldn't save the change, and I (even more stupidly) hit Quit because it was the only option in that message. Quitting ended up taking precedence (I guess the developers never considered forcing it to obey the activity meter, kill the change I'd made, and stay open until the activity was done).

The end result, looking at each library (the local and the external) is that their total GB is much less than the total was originally — a lot of data has simply gone. (At least I don't have to worry about the maxed-out local drive anymore.) The thing is, I still have the original source files for the events around. So I'm crossing my fingers that the project files, being by far the biggest expenditure of my time (but of course much smaller in size than the events), were successfully moved over and can be reconnected to the large event files. I have reason to think this happened, because I reopened iMovie (probably the third stupid thing) and the project looked like it was there with all its trimmings. It just crashed a few seconds into playing it, which I hope was due entirely to missing footage and not corrupted/missing project data.

How do I go about fixing this?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2013 model, 11-inch

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 6:02 PM

1 reply

Feb 27, 2015 7:18 PM in response to Lenoxus

Whew! I just solved it all on my own by fiddling around with the package contents. (Control-click the library's icon and Show Package Contents.) The full solution was: In the project's folder in the external library, I deleted all the event files and replaced them with those original source files I mentioned. In that same folder, I deleted the render files subfolder. Upon re-opening iMovie, everything was as it should be.

Also, I should note that the size discrepancy wasn't just a matter of the event file data — the real space hog in iMovie is the render files folder, which is constantly growing over the course of the project (since it has to work with all the added transitions and whatnot).

Thanks, me!

iMovie crashed while transferring project — how to restore what may have been lost?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.