Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Snow Leopard without a DVD?

Greetings,

First, please pardon my diatribe. I am one who feels the more info presented, the better answers may be obtained.

My iMac:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09

SMC Version: 1.9f4

I've been wanting to upgrade to Snow Leopard for sometime, and while I am quite computer literate, I need to do a great deal of research...I was burning a CD to iTunes and somehow my CD/DVD drive had a mechanical failure and that CD has been stuck in the drive for a while.I looked up ways to fix it thru various means, but I am not one for "illegal" modding (that which would void any warranty and/or screw-drive (haha) my system/hardware. Even if I had a DVD of Snow Leopard, and could feneagle the CD out, once the installation DVD was inserted, I'd obviously have to remove that from the CD drive as well. I'm quite certain that attempting to have the drive repaired would be expensive, not to mention this is my only computer. I'd love to obtain a new iMac, I merely lack the coin to do so. Is there a way to download Snow Leopard? Is it worth having the CD/DVD drive repaired?I doubt I'd need Tiger anymore and I am not versed, well or otherwise, in creating partitions, etc. Currently I utilize the mac for browsing, listening to music, Word/Excel, and occasional (not nearly as much as I should be) Photoshop use. My intention is ultimately to transfer art/photography to the mac and work on it. Utilizing 3D-modeling programs would be nice but I doubt I have the necessary system reqs. for this. I'm not pressed to have the latest greatest software to do this, just enough to begin my quest for professional creative employment, et al.

Thanks for bearing with my lengthy inquisition. Any constructive advice/criticism in achieving these goals is much appreciated and welcome.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), null

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 9:05 PM

1 reply

Feb 27, 2015 9:35 PM in response to CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT

There is no possibility to legally download OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard because it has never been offered except on Compact Disc media and Apple still sells OS X 10.6 that way. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

With an OS X Snow Leopard disc set, second Mac with a functioning DVD drive and a Firewire port, AND the appropriate Firewire connecting cable, you could conceivably use Target Disk Mode to install OS X on your iMac.How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

Only you can judge whether the cost of a new DVD drive for your computer is worth the investment, versus putting that amount of money toward a new(er) fully functional computer.

How to install Snow Leopard without a DVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.