Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1492?locale=en_US not working

Hi,

MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.6 isn't working when it hit download (Download). This is the same for MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.7 (Download). First I got an error message with a reference number. Now it just shows a blank white page. I found these updates from EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Macs - Apple Support while looking for information regarding another problems.

I'm trying to get AHT to work on my Mid 2010 macbook pro 6,2 because it keeps rebooting with a GPU error. I need to test for this and find a Fix. I can only afford to repair my Macbook at this time, I don't have enough coin at the moment to buy a new one.

Thanks,

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 3:47 AM

4 replies

Feb 28, 2015 4:03 AM in response to bigbro_1985

You have the misfortune of having a model identifier 6.2 MBP that is having GPU problems. There was a recall on these MBPs but that has expired. As a temporary measure, down load this:

https://gfx.io/

It will allow you to disable the discrete GPU and run only on the integrated one. There will be a decline in graphics performance.

The proper repair is to replace the logic board.

Ciao.

Feb 28, 2015 12:27 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi Ogelthorpe,

Thanks for that I'll give that a try, the most I'm doing with my graphics card for now is watching movies over HDMI at the moment. I was never aware of any recall, that really *****! Because at the time I went out and bought the highest spec, so I'm not ready to retire it just yet.

By logic board do you mean the entire main board, or is there a sub board that I can replace. I vaguely recall a thread where someone replaced the Shared Graphics RAM, which did the trick. But I didn't figure out if it was the same model or problem, I had a reboot and lost the page.

BTW that Apple Support link says that the website can't be found. Do you by any chance know I contact apple to let them know their website is having problems?

Feb 28, 2015 12:36 PM in response to bigbro_1985

bigbro_1985 wrote:

By logic board do you mean the entire main board, or is there a sub board that I can replace.

It will require that the logic board (same as main or mother board) has to be replaced. No sub boards are involved here. Check the iFixit website.

BTW that Apple Support link says that the website can't be found.

That is not an Apple support website. It works for me: Click on it here:

https://gfx.io

If you still have difficulty, search the Internet for 'gfxCardStatus'

Ciao.

Feb 28, 2015 1:05 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Well that really *****! Well I'm gonna take it in to a service center, explain that there was a recall and that I wasn't aware of it. I did have it happen in 2012, but it happened so rarely that I didn't think any thing of it. My warranty was valid when it was happening but it didn't happen to the point where I couldn't use my computer. I don't know why I didn't get an email or notification or something about a recall. That would have been nice to know when I still had a valid warranty and I got the extended warranty and everything. If I knew about a recall in 2012 it would have registered when I had the crash happen. I just grew up with Windows and having a blue screen now and then was considered the norm.

As for the link, I was referring to my original question for the firmware update so I can run my own diagnostic. (MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.6)

I downloaded that and installed gfxCardStatus, I'm trying it out now. Thanks for that advise, even if it delays me having to replace this for another 6 months or so.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1492?locale=en_US not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.