Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I installed my new iMac with my Macbook Pro 2008 backup and created a network with the iMac and now the Macbook Pro cannot get internet.

I installed my new iMac with my Macbook Pro 2008 back up. I created a iMac network with Airport extreme, but now my Macbook Pro cannot get internet. any ideas on why or what to do about it.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Airport extreme router

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 10:43 PM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2015 8:14 AM in response to 1BillyMac

Hello 1BillyMac,

It seems you have a network conflict that isn't allowing your MacBook Pro to connect to the internet. This may be caused by both computers sharing identical network settings. You may want to consider creating a new network location on your MacBook Pro to assign new network settings. The following article will instruct you on how to do that:

OS X Yosemite: Add a network location

A network location is a group of network settings

A network location is a group of network settings for your various network services (Ethernet or Wi-Fi for example).

If you often change network settings, you may find switching between locations quicker and easier than repeatedly modifying individual groups of settings.

For example, you might want to make a location for “home,” where you connect to the Internet with a telephone modem, and a location for “office,” where you connect to your company network and the Internet using Ethernet or AirPort.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Network.

2. Click the Location pop-up menu, choose Edit Locations, then click Add User uploaded file.

3. Enter a name for the location, then click Done.

4. Enter settings for each network connection service you want to use in that location.

After you create your locations, you can switch all of your network settings by clicking the Location pop-up menu and choosing a different location.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Bobby_D

I installed my new iMac with my Macbook Pro 2008 backup and created a network with the iMac and now the Macbook Pro cannot get internet.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.