Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to a SSD for my MacBook Pro Mid 2009

So my MacBook Pro has become a snail and I have received an article thats on business insider on how to improve that. I am awaiting 2 4gb RAM upgrades from Crucial to help the performance. While I am doing that I am looking at upgrading to a SSD and I don't know what kind to get or what is compatible with my model. I have read many different things, and some people say models are compatible and others say they aren't. Any help and advice would be great thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Just updated to the new iOS

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 10:53 PM

15 replies

Feb 27, 2015 11:17 PM in response to skyscho

Hi,

Your machine being fairly old it won't be able to fully use the capabilities of the newer SSDs, such as high link speed.

But most SSDs are backward compatible. Check this out before buying.

If you buy from OWC, they assure you of compatibility. I am using a Samsung 840 EVO with a mid-2012 MBP and it is fine.

Whatever you choose, you will find a great improvement in startup speed and Internet speed, particularly as you will have 8 GB of RAM.

Regards.

Feb 28, 2015 10:34 AM in response to skyscho

skyscho wrote:

Thanks I'll check that out!

If you do, that price should be good for the weekend, but prior to Friday, it was going for $348 and it may go back up next week. Also, check out Crucial's SSD Support page, especially the part about Garbage Collection and TRIM. Since you're still using Mavericks, you can enable TRIM without a problem (it is a problem with Yosemite).

Feb 28, 2015 12:23 PM in response to skyscho

There's plenty of disagreement about TRIM and a fair amount of confusion too. A long TRIM explanation is here which goes beyond just TRIM but is still good to know. In a nutshell, HD's and SSD's don't work the same way. With a HD, if a file is deleted, that space is immediately available for reuse without any further action needed. With an SSD, the space needs to be erased before it can be reused, and while only a page of data may have been deleted, only a block of many pages can be erased. Since some of the pages in the block may still contain valid data, those pages have to be moved elsewhere before the erasure can take place. But when a file is deleted, the operating system knows about it but the SSD controller doesn't, so invalid data gets moved too. TRIM is the method by which the OS notifies the SSD controller of the deletion. The link I included regarding Garbage Collection and TRIM explains how GC can get by without TRIM. But activating TRIM is, in most cases, beneficial. How beneficial is best demonstrated in the graphs showing test results for TRIM activation.

While TRIM can be activated for third party SSD's, Yosemite introduced a complication. While TRIM can be temporarily deactivated in instances where it would interfere with things like OS updates, there may be times when you can't or forget to be proactive. So there's no easy answer.

Feb 28, 2015 1:21 PM in response to dalstott

dalstott wrote:

Read this article by OWC about not needing trim...

My first SSD was an OWC SSD with the SandForce controller. In that case, the SSD is identified as "Rotational" in System Information so TRIM doesn't apply (the Electra 3G MAX SSD 960GB drive is really a RAID combination of two SSD's in the drive enclosure so TRIM wouldn't work anyway). That's been in use for over two years without issue.

In any case, certain characteristics of the SandForce controller, its on-the-fly data compression and de-duplication, make using TRIM a bit tricky. This link may shed some light on that.

Upgrade to a SSD for my MacBook Pro Mid 2009

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.