Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI Audio out at same time as Headphone/Analogue Audio Out?

I have a Mac Mini (early 2014) located in the study next to the lounge. External speakers in the study are connected to the Headphone / Analogue Audio out port for use when I'm sat at the Mac. I also wish to listen to hi-res music (24bit, upto 192kHz) via my A/V amplifier in the lounge and have connected using the HDMI port. However, the HDMI audio is muted when the study speakers are plugged into the headphone socket.

Is there a setting that will allow audio to be output on both at the same time?

Note: I also have an Apple TV, but AirPlay does not support hi-res audio.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 1:23 AM

3 replies

Feb 28, 2015 2:12 AM in response to fendercpk

No. you have to unplug the headphones.

Why can't I select HDMI audio on my Mac mini?

If you connect an HDMI display or television to a Mac mini (Mid 2010 or later), you might not be able to select the HDMI audio device (in System Preferences > Sound > Output). This can happen if you also have headphones plugged in to the computer. Unplug the headphones to be able to select HDMI audio.

Mac computers: Frequently asked questions about using HDMI - Apple Support

Feb 28, 2015 6:11 AM in response to lllaass

OK, so I've now unplugged from the Headphone port and plugged the study speakers into a mini digital to analogue / analogue to digital converter that was originally purchased to connect a headset to the USB port. This gives two sound options in System Preferences: External SPDIF interface USB which appears to be the active option and Speaker USB which is muted when selected.

The only problem now is that I got a grey box appear on the screen showing a speaker and volume level. Selecting other speaker options did not get rid of it. It was not clickable (neither left not right click). No matter what I tried it was still obtrusive on the display.

After selecting HDMI and listening to an album in the lounge, I turned off the TV (that had been mirroring the Mac screen) just leaving the audio playing through the amp. When I returned to the Mac and selected alternative speaker options, the grey box disappeared and now selecting various speaker options does not cause it to return. Any ideas?

HDMI Audio out at same time as Headphone/Analogue Audio Out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.