Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

losing permission to songs in my library

In the past three weeks, I have been losing permission to songs in my library. I can locate the song in my ITunes library and the folder where they are stored, but the songs that I have lost permission to have "green ink". I have moved them out of ITunes and tried to reload them, but ITunes will not allow me. These are songs I purchased on other websites and uploaded to my ITunes library. Some of the songs I have had for years and have been able to play them all along. But recently, certain songs in my library I lose permissions for.

Also--I only notice it is happening when I click play on a specific song and the player skips the song. I go back and keep trying to click on it and it won't play. Then when I go into library, I find that it now has "green ink" and I have lost permissions.

Help

iPod (5th generation), Windows 7

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 11:42 PM

5 replies

Mar 1, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Kerry Hill

Hey Kerry Hill,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, you are getting a permission error and cannot play music. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

iTunes: Missing folder or incorrect permissions may prevent authorization - Apple Support

Windows Vista or Windows 7

1. Open Computer from the Start menu.
  2. From the Organize menu, choose Folder and Search Options.
  3. Click the View tab.
  4. In the "Advanced settings" pane under "Hidden files and folders," make sure that the "Show hidden files and folders" option is selected.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Navigate to the following location by either typing it into the address bar, copying and pasting it into the address bar, or clicking through the folder hierarchy listed:

C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\iTunes

7. Right-click the SC Info folder shown and on the shortcut menu, choose Delete.
  8. Restart the computer.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a good one,

Mario

Mar 11, 2015 9:39 PM in response to mario49

Mario49,

Thank you for responding. I am just now getting the chance to implement your recommendations. So I followed the steps and deleted the SC folder and rebooted my computer. However, I am not sure how it solved the problem. I didn't fully understand the article. I took this action this evening.

How did this action I took following those steps prevent my Itunes from stopping me from playing music?

Also, I thought this was a one time thing, but yesterday, I discovered another 38 songs were not playing and when I dove into their folders in the Itunes music, the words were green. These were song I have have had in my itunes for nearly 2 years. WHY now have i suddenly lost permission? If these were encrypted files, why now am I losing the ability to play the songs and must find replacements?

I collect dance remixes and some of these songs are **** near impossible to find.

Seeking further information.

Kerry

Mar 11, 2015 9:41 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for responding.

I had it happen again last night. I found 38 songs that had changed over from songs I have played over and over and have had in my Itunes for nearly 2 years, so suddenly, I can't play them and I need to remove them and have to find the songs all over again.

If they are encrypted and I have been able to play these files and songs for a couple of years, why now---is itunes not allowing me to play these songs after I have had them in my itunes for years?

How do I un-encrypt them?

Kerry

losing permission to songs in my library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.