Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any version of any operating system (Snow Leopard through Maverick) that will make my 2010 Macbook 7,1 run some-what efficiently again? Instead of just installing Maverick, should I consider re-installing any of the previous op systems?

My 13-inch, Mid-2010 Macbook has declined in performance with every operating system upgrade. Maverick functioned, unlike Yosemite, which I currently have every intention of deleting. Honestly, the last time my mac could run multiple applications at once without slowing to a crawl and then crashing was on Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion. Although I'm not quite sure at what point my Mac ran smoothest, but remained compatible with the new applications I've downloaded over the years. I know that it's been too long since I enjoyed using my 2010 Macbook. In fact, I thoroughly enjoy using my 2008 Macbook more, despite it's limited compatibility and obsolete features.

I own a Snow Leopard install disk, or could install any of the operating system on my desktop and reinstall using a USB method, or any other means to successfully wipe a disk clean of Yosemite that many of you might know that works similarly (I didn't have Time Machine on). With that being the case, what is my best option for deleting Yosemite, and recovering an older OS X operating system successfully?

The question I have for all of you with knowledge superior to my mediocre Mac mind, is what operating system can I reinstall on this Mac that will give it the best shot to function acceptably? Is any specific version compatible with all/most new software and such, but before Maverick and Yosemite raised my active memory usage through the run, along with constant lagging, and then a kernel panic. Through extensive googling, I've become more confused and frustrated. I could not get a concrete answer due to the questions phrasing, but hopefully someone can assist me here ASAP, please. How can I run Google Chrome and have a Celtx document open again without unavoidable crashing? I won't be greedy and dare ask for an additional, minimally energy draining application run in the background. Again, my 2008 runs beautifully, but is limited in compatibility. My newer 2010 Mac runs like it's struggling for memory (I've used 30 gb out of the 200, using my out-dated Macbook for most of my Mac tasks.

My minor question.... For deleting Yosemite, what method is the most effective and easy considering the options? My major question..... Will reinstalling an operating system on a fresh disk, is any operating system valuable enough to consider installing and avoiding re-updating to Maverick? Or is Maverick my best shot? And a Mac that is significantly newer and more compatible with current hardware and software, and has approx 100 gb less on it's drive than my 2008 Mac, yet the Yosemite Mac can't handle of a fraction of the 2008 Snow Leopard activity. This is my 5th physical Macbook in less than a decade, btw. Along with pads and phones. I refuse to give Apple more money to solve this, so that is not the answer I'm looking for. Thank you.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 1 app will lag and freeze my Mac

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 1:57 AM

12 replies

Mar 1, 2015 6:28 AM in response to SeaPapp

FIRSTLY, THANK YOU! I appreciate any help you can lend me here. Below is a Etrecheck from today.

Essentially, Google Chrome and ANY other program open will eventually freeze up. I deleted Chrome. Re-downloaded. Completely deleted. Used Safari. Absolutely NO BETTER.

If I'm writing a really long document in a word processor and using a thesaurus or dictionary application in the background.... That will eventually freeze my mac.

So ANY assistance here would be terrific because since Yosemite it's been impossible to tolerate.

Problem description:

If 2 “major” programs are running at the same time, my Macbook is almost unusable due to lag, crashes, and freezes.

EtreCheck version: 2.1.8 (121)

Report generated March 1, 2015 at 9:19:18 AM EST

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010) (Technical Specifications)

MacBook - model: MacBook7,1

1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core

2 GB RAM Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

1 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

1 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Battery Health: Normal - Cycle count 443

Video Information: ℹ️

NVIDIA GeForce 320M - VRAM: 256 MB

NS32E400NA14 spdisplays_1080p

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) - Time since boot: 22:5:54

Disk Information: ℹ️

Hitachi HTS545025B9SA02 disk0 : (250.06 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

THE MAC HD (disk0s2) / : 249.20 GB (197.12 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5970H

USB Information: ℹ️

TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 1 TB

BOX (disk1s1) /Volumes/BOX : 500.10 GB (27.71 GB free)

Box 2 (disk1s2) /Volumes/Box 2 : 500.10 GB (407.54 GB free)

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

Logitech USB Receiver

Apple Inc. BRCM2070 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Configuration files: ℹ️

/etc/hosts - Count: 17

Gatekeeper: ℹ️

Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions: ℹ️

/Library/Extensions

[loaded] com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver (3.9.1 - SDK 10.8) [Click for support]

/System/Library/Extensions

[loaded] com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (1.6.6 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

[loaded] com.Logitech.Unifying.HID Driver (1.3.0 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.microsoft.driver.MicrosoftMouse (8.2) [Click for support]

[loaded] com.silex.driver.sxuptp (1.10.5 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

[loaded] com.usboverdrive.driver.hid (3.0.2 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

/System/Library/Extensions/MicrosoftMouse.kext/Contents/PlugIns

[not loaded] com.microsoft.driver.MicrosoftMouseBluetooth (8.2) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.microsoft.driver.MicrosoftMouseUSB (8.2) [Click for support]

/System/Library/Extensions/USBOverdrive.kext/Contents/PlugIns

[not loaded] com.usboverdrive.driver.hid.safe (3.0.2) [Click for support]

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.divx.dms.agent.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.divx.update.agent.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Click for support]

[running] com.Logitech.Control Center.Daemon.plist [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.splashtop.streamer-for-root.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.splashtop.streamer-for-user.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.google.keystone.daemon.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist [Click for support]

[failed] com.splashtop.streamer-daemon.plist [Click for support]

[failed] com.splashtop.streamer-srioframebuffer.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[failed] com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-[...]@me.com-SharedServices.Agent.plist

[running] com.google.Chrome.framework.plist [Click for support]

[failed] com.leadertech.PowerRegister.EPS2.fa8d34509cfddcea6fdfd2f145193825.plist [Click for support]

[failed] com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2Helper.diskSpaceWatcher.plist [Click for support]

[failed] com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2Helper.scheduledScan.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2Helper.trashWatcher.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.splashtop.streamer-for-user.plist [Click for support]

[running] net.optimum.iptv.optimumapp.agent.v3.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] opt.plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

iTunesHelper Application (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)

USBOverdriveHelper Application (/Library/PreferencePanes/USB Overdrive.prefPane/Contents/Resources/USBOverdriveHelper.app)

teleportd Application (/Library/PreferencePanes/teleport.prefPane/Contents/Resources/teleportd.app)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.30514.0 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

OVSHelper: Version: 1.1 [Click for support]

WidevineMediaOptimizer: Version: 6.0.0.12757 - SDK 10.7 [Click for support]

Default Browser: Version: 537 - SDK 10.9

User internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

RealPlayer Plugin: Version: Unknown

Safari Extensions: ℹ️

Searchme [Adware! - Remove]

Slick Savings [Adware! - Remove]

Evernote Web Clipper

Ebay Shopping Assistant [Adware! - Remove]

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

Logitech Control Center [Click for support]

teleport [Click for support]

USB Overdrive [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

11% WindowServer

0% AppleSpell

0% Google Chrome

0% fontd

0% loginwindow

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

116 MB Google Chrome

54 MB Finder

51 MB Google Chrome Helper

34 MB WindowServer

23 MB mds

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

23 MB Free RAM

618 MB Active RAM

601 MB Inactive RAM

306 MB Wired RAM

1.24 GB Page-ins

16 MB Page-outs

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Feb 28, 2015, 11:10:52 AM Self test - passed

Feb 27, 2015, 07:05:00 PM /Users/[redacted]/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/LCCDaemon_2015-02-27-190500_[r edacted].crash

Mar 1, 2015 6:46 AM in response to My Decade of Mac Mayhem

I agree 100% with Allan's observations. 2GB of ram and Clean My Mac are MAJOR problems, the adware only slightly less. Your macbook is capable of using up to 16GB of ram andwhile that may be a bit of overkill for you at least 8GB is probably the right upgrade. Reliable sources are OWC http://eshop.macsales.com and Crucial http://www.crucial.com

Avoid the temptation of the bargain basement brands as they will cause more trouble than they're worth.

Are you using Chrome for any specific reason? If you don't like Safari Firefox is a much better option. Google apps don't generally play well with OS X.

Mar 1, 2015 6:51 AM in response to My Decade of Mac Mayhem

I thought I had. The CleanMyMac and others must have residual files hidden on my mac. I will use the adware medic, thank you.

But in regards to my 2010 Mac's complete superiority to my 2008 Mac, which I can only imagine the adware and junk filling up that hard-drive.... Yet with 100 gbs more, it runs beautifully. This Mac..... Constant kernal panics. Using an external monitor (which I often do) is asking for a crash. My hdmi converter is compatible with the newer model Mac, but not my older one, so I don't have to choice on which to use. I have a converter for that 2008 Mac to VGA, and my HD Insigna television has a VGA port, as well. When that is in use, the Mac handles just fine. But I can't use many of my current applications AND it's not in HD....

This 2010 Mac has 30 gb on it, and it is the bare essentials or programs I need. Every operating system upgrade, the same programs I've used, have increased in system memory usage, and a lack of available memory for anything it feels like. It is in kernel panic as soon as it turns on. I believe this is a software issue, and I based on the fact that a few days ago I had Mavericks and I could tolerate the 2010 Mac, and now with Yosemite it is beyond frustration, I don't know what to do next......

PRAM and RAM in safe mode have not worked, either.

Mar 1, 2015 6:58 AM in response to My Decade of Mac Mayhem

From my understand, I could re-download Mountain Lion or Mavericks from the App store (still available to me in my purchases). Create a USB drive acting as an installer and wipe Yosemite off the face of the Earth..... And my Mac.

Also, I still own the Snow Leopard installation CD from when I bought my Macbook.

So back to my original question..... Now that Yosemite has made it unusable, when I erase my disk, and with those options available to me, what should I do to this Mac to make it function as it did before I continually updated OS X operating systems and depleted my Mac's resources to perform reasonable tasks.

What can I do to make my 2010 Mac with only 30 gbs of memory and Yosemite perform HALF as well as my 2008 Mac with OS X 10.6.8?

Is there any version of any operating system (Snow Leopard through Maverick) that will make my 2010 Macbook 7,1 run some-what efficiently again? Instead of just installing Maverick, should I consider re-installing any of the previous op systems?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.