Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro - Irregular charging.

Problem:

Sometimes the computer states (Not Charging) in the top right corner and the light on the L-Style adapter Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters - Apple Support is showing to be green; despite not being fully charged.

Remedies:

I've tried resetting the SMC and PRAM several times. The charger seems to be working fine and I am very doubtful this is the problem.

Computer:

Macbook Pro;

17 inch early 2011;

Mac OS X 10.7.5 - Lion;

Fault Diagnosis:

1. I think the problem could be a burnt out sensor in the computer itself.
  2. I haven't seemed to notice many problems in Bootcamp, which contradicts my burnt-out sensor theory; though I do not spend enough time in Bootcamp to certain this theory.

MacBook Pro, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 3:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 4:08 AM

Open System Information>Power and post this from your MBP:

(make certain that the charger is connected)

User uploaded file

Also run an Apple Hardware Test:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Note that an error free AHT is not definitive.

Ciao.

7 replies

Mar 1, 2015 9:10 AM in response to Dalmango

Thanks Ogelthorpe, the Hardware Diagnostic test (online by holding Option-D) was fine; nothing disconcerting at all.

I've spent a bit of time in Bootcamp today and the Battery doesn't seem to have any problems in Bootcamp so it must be some sort of firmware issue in Apple.

Thank you for the Hardware Test, was not aware of that; so really cool I learned that from you; many thanks.

Mar 1, 2015 9:24 AM in response to Dalmango

It may be that when you see that the led is green and the battery is not fully charged could be due to the fact that the battery, when it is charged to 100%, will no longer accept a charge until it drops down to ~95% charge level. Then the charging process will invoked until it reaches 100% again and constantly repeated. This is controlled by the OSX and is perfectly normal.

Ciao,

Macbook Pro - Irregular charging.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.