Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My safari history delete itself

whenever i use safari in my macbook air and i'm done, i shut the window, and the next time i go use safari, my history is all gone. I have already checked the box that say to clean history within one day but it's marked to do it manually, i don't know what to do. sorry if it's a little confuse what i wrote.

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 7:10 AM

10 replies

Feb 28, 2015 2:48 PM in response to dominic23

this has just started happening to me. Last history under"History" is Jan. 10. I read that the default under "remove history items" is one week. I discovered the setting was "Manual" and I reset it to one week , then to one month, then to one year. The app will capture the history for the same day, but when I shut down (even sleep), the setting has reset to Manual. This must be some simple setting, que no? What happened. ?

Feb 28, 2015 3:15 PM in response to mcgrover1

Delete Safari .plist file.

Quit all applications. Click on an empty spot on the desktop to activate Finder.

Hold the “Option” key down and click the "Go" menu in the Finder menu bar.

Select “Library” from the drop down.

Library > Preferences > com.apple.Safari.plist

Right click it and select "Move to Trash". Close Finder window.

Please don’t empty the Trash.

Restart. Launch Safari.

Test Safari.

If this doesn’t help;

Put back the com.apple.Safari.plist

Right click the Trash icon in the Dock and select “Open”

Right click on the com.apple.Safari.plist and select “Put Back”.

Mar 2, 2015 9:55 PM in response to mcgrover1

for what it's worth I solved my own problem. probably happens more than I think. When I accessed my History by clicking the open book icon on the tool bar, I was able to see I had History going back 6 months -give or take - but I had to scroll down to see it all. Say my setting was set to 6 months (the setting under Safari preferences General), although I don't really know. But I don't care now. After deleting my History day by day, and resetting the "Save History for 1 month" the History began to work again, and the bookmarks worked as they should. So, I don't know why the OS didn't delete History items after 6 months, if that was the setting, or one month or one year, etc. as I expected it to - instead of re-setting my preference to "Manual" and not allowing any more History to stack up. I am available for clarification if necessary, but others' problems may differ.

Mar 5, 2015 2:00 PM in response to mcgrover1

Correction: problem not solved. When Safari crashes and I need to restart, or I shutdown I lose all my recent History and Bookmarks - since Jan. 10 nothing has been saved. And when I clear History it comes back - it goes back to Sept. 2014. To repeat I cleared it and it came back on restart. AppleCare has said I need to upgrade OS from 10.5.8 to 10.6. They were kind enough to send me an upgrade disk but it was defective and they're sending me another. More later.

My safari history delete itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.