Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Vault saving different sized previews

Hi all,

I am trying to back up my rather large (1.04TB) Aperture managed library to an external hard drive vault. Trouble is that when "generating previews" message came up at the bottom of Aperture the vault size started growing way bigger than the 1.04TB original library. It is currently at 1.56TB and growing slowly.

When I investigated the package content I found the masters folders where EXACTLY the same size so that is a good start but the Previews folder is 506.34GB in the vault versus 440KB in the library (see attached photo). Does anyone know why Aperture is doing this? What would be the best course of action to remedy it? Is there a setting in Aperture I am missing or does Aperture need a preview size to use else it reverts to half size previews? It seems that Aperture is saving half sized previews.. I have made sure that the preview generation was off and I even deleted all the previews before I did the back up. Bit perplexed....

User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 8:54 AM

I think I have found an answer to my question..

It looks like you have to force Aperture to regenerate all the previews after you change the setting even if you delete the old previews. I just assumed by deleting them that they were gone. It looks like Aperture looks at the current preview setting for each master so if , as I found out it started with the default "half size" option it will keep that option stored even if you change your preference and delete the old previews. Thus , when I created the back up it regenerated the old setting that was stored . ie. half sized previews..

Looking at it logically it makes sense as you can have some old sized previews and mix them up with a new size going forward. Makes it much more flexible in the long run..

This article explains it as well..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203497

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2015 8:54 AM in response to jonpanoff

I think I have found an answer to my question..

It looks like you have to force Aperture to regenerate all the previews after you change the setting even if you delete the old previews. I just assumed by deleting them that they were gone. It looks like Aperture looks at the current preview setting for each master so if , as I found out it started with the default "half size" option it will keep that option stored even if you change your preference and delete the old previews. Thus , when I created the back up it regenerated the old setting that was stored . ie. half sized previews..

Looking at it logically it makes sense as you can have some old sized previews and mix them up with a new size going forward. Makes it much more flexible in the long run..

This article explains it as well..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203497

Aperture Vault saving different sized previews

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.