Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

skips and clicks in music

Some songs in my library have clicks and what sounds like skips in, the best way to describe it is that they sound like your listening to a old record on a record player. It's not all the songs and it's not whole albums and they were not like it when I imported the albums. I think they have come after moving my library from an old laptop to my new one.

What I would like to find out is there a way to get rid of these clicks or will I have to import all my albums again which obviously not something I would want to do as there is loads on there?

Thanks

iPod touch, iOS 8.1

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 6:11 AM

What version of iTunes are you running? The symptoms you describe were encountered by many people with the 64-bit version of iTunes 12.1.0.71 - if this is what to you are running you should update to the most recent version (12.1.1.4). Apple state that the latter addresses the playback issues that affected its predecessor, and in most cases this seems to be the cases. You should also make sure that:

• you have the latest version of QuickTime installed
  • you check whether changing the setting of the Play Audio Using dropdown in Edit > Preferences > Playback (you will need to restart iTunes for any change to take effect). Some people have reported that playback issues are addressed by selecting "Direct Sound" rather than "Windows Audio Session".

If you're already running 12.1.1.4, upgrading to it doesn't solve the problem, and you've checked the last two areas, install this alternative version: iTunes 12.1.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards) - the "for older video cards" label is something of a misnomer, as this is actually (like most previous "64-bit" versions of iTunes) a 64-bit installer for the 32-bit application.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2015 6:11 AM in response to bigsi40

What version of iTunes are you running? The symptoms you describe were encountered by many people with the 64-bit version of iTunes 12.1.0.71 - if this is what to you are running you should update to the most recent version (12.1.1.4). Apple state that the latter addresses the playback issues that affected its predecessor, and in most cases this seems to be the cases. You should also make sure that:

• you have the latest version of QuickTime installed
  • you check whether changing the setting of the Play Audio Using dropdown in Edit > Preferences > Playback (you will need to restart iTunes for any change to take effect). Some people have reported that playback issues are addressed by selecting "Direct Sound" rather than "Windows Audio Session".

If you're already running 12.1.1.4, upgrading to it doesn't solve the problem, and you've checked the last two areas, install this alternative version: iTunes 12.1.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards) - the "for older video cards" label is something of a misnomer, as this is actually (like most previous "64-bit" versions of iTunes) a 64-bit installer for the 32-bit application.

Feb 28, 2015 6:45 AM in response to hhgttg27

Thanks for the quick reply I have tried all the above now and it's still the same. After further investigation I think it's more a problem with the copy on the computer because it also does it listening through windows player. I think what has happened is when I have copied my old hard drive to the new laptop it must have corrupted the files somehow and the only way to solve it would be to re-rip all the affected albums. :-(

Feb 28, 2015 7:11 AM in response to bigsi40

Hmmm ... if the playback issues are occurring in WMP then its not just an iTunes issue. One way to determine whether it is an issue with you media is to check very carefully and see whether the "static" occurs in exactly the same places every time you play a song, in both iTunes and WMP. It would be unusual for this to be the result of file corruption - in most cases that would result in files that just wouldn't play or would stop playing mid-song. I assume that the affected albums played correctly on the old computer - if so, do you still have access to the latter so that you could try re-copying before you start re-ripping? There are a couple of situations in which the problems you're encountering could be a result of defects in the files ripped from CD (damaged or dirty CDs, especially if ripped without error correction, or some "copy protection" schemes that effective prevent a "clean" rip in many cases).

I would also check that Windows is fully up to date - this could be something as simple as an outdated audio driver,

Mar 7, 2015 6:12 AM in response to hhgttg27

Hi, Sorry for the delay in replying work and stuff got in the way. It does sound like the skips and clicks happen at the same place/time. There is one song that has the "static" all the way through but nothing on the rest of the album, it's just so random most albums are fine some have one or two songs that are affected. I can't find the old hard drive to see if that is okay and it happened when I copied it to the new one.

Thanks

Simon

skips and clicks in music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.