Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use iPhoto without paying another dollar for the Aperture upgrade?

Or maybe i should just downgrade the OS to being able to use the Aperture again? And how do i do it?

PS, I still got Aperture 2, and i don't need the new one with its useless Faces/Places.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 7:27 AM

6 replies

Feb 28, 2015 3:42 PM in response to fshb

Agree with Mr. Lloyd - in any case, you are running an obsolete OSX on your MacBook Pro and should upgrade to the latest version of Yosemite OSX 10.10.2
When you upgrade to the latest version of Yosemite you will be able to download iPhoto 9.6 for free. This iPhoto download will convert your old Aperture library to an iPhoto library that can also be used if you decide to upgrade to the current Aperture 3.6
Also it is very easy to disable faces/places in the current version of Aperture.

Feb 28, 2015 3:55 PM in response to torreypines

This iPhoto download will convert your old Aperture library to an iPhoto library that can also be used if you decide to upgrade to the current Aperture 3.6

Are you sure, that iPhoto 9.6 can convert Aperture 2 libraries?

As far as I could see in my experiments, the latest iPhoto versions will only open matching Aperture versions and give a warning, if the Aperture version is older.

Trying to open an Aperture 3.0.3 library in iPhoto 9.6 will result in this warning for me:

User uploaded file

Feb 28, 2015 7:26 PM in response to léonie

Correct. iPhoto cannot "convert" Aperture libraries.

There is only one solution to get an old Aperture 2.x library into iPhoto. You must:

1) Purchase Aperture 3 from the App Store. This will give Aperture 3.6, which can update the Aperture 2.x library.

2) iPhoto 9.6 can then use this same Aperture library.

Of course, with Photos on the horizon, who knows. I don't know whether it will import an Aperture 2.x library. I do a fair bit of photography so I've upgraded my photography tools in the past 5 years (it was mandatory because I got new cameras that needed newer RAW converters).

Mar 2, 2015 2:42 PM in response to fshb

I suggest you upgrade your Aperture now while you can. Once Photos comes out this spring, Apple will no longer sell Aperture, and they have not said whether they will sell the upgrade. I believe you have to pay for the upgrade from 2.0 to 3.x. I suggest this because if you ever replace your camera and need RAW converter for it through Aperture, it may not be available and then you're really stuck not being able to continue to use Aperture. And yes, turn off faces and places. And if your computer crashes big time and you get a new Apple with the new operating system, you'll need the newer Aperture.

All in all, I think $79 is pretty cheap insurance to get the Aperture upgrade now while you can so you can continue to use Aperture for another 10 years on your computer.

How to use iPhoto without paying another dollar for the Aperture upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.