Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What upgrades should I get for my MacBook pro for video editing?, What upgrades should I get for my MacBook pro for video editing?

Hi,

i am a student and I will use my MacBook pro to edit my movies, I will go to a film school and I think the preview of my previous works has to be professionally done. But I don't know what upgrades should I get to make the editing smooth, and have enough storage.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 7:22 AM

2 replies

Feb 28, 2015 8:16 AM in response to nizarabush

The marekting pages for FCPX clearly list all of the compatible and the minimum Macintosh computer systems that will support the software. So start with the minimum system you can afford and then opt for as much additional RAM as you can afford. You do not need to increase the internal drive capacity if you have one or more external drives (which you should have for backing up your stuff and for exchanging pieces of your projects).

Be sure your budget includes funds for the extra batteries you may need or want, additional chargers for the dorm rooms, adapters for your cameras, external monitor adapters, a mouse or tablet, good headphones, and a nice case that will protect your investment without screaming "Steal Me!"

Feb 28, 2015 9:24 PM in response to nizarabush

as an hobbyist on a shoestring budget, but with the head in the sky, based on my own experience:

8GB Ram is ok, 16GB is nice

most important, aside 'skills': …

<voice of Steve Balmer> ext HDD, ext HDD, ext HDD, ext HDD!!!

😉

I'm handling here 4k material on a MacMini, which doesn't even have a dedicated GPU. In Multicam.

Distribute your materials on several hard drives, make a plan first, before editing, what & where, you get instantly messy and lost without a plan.

What mentioned before: back ups! I'm not shy using a 99€ Raid0 (=two 2.5" drives + Disk Utility's feature, to create 'software raids' ) - Raid0 are NoGo for pros, 'cause it doubles the chance to 'crash' - no prob for me, having my backups - inconvenient to reload everything - but I'm no News Room 😝

For professional 'look' care for the other stuff :

tripod with 'fluid head', lights, more lights, ND filters set, ext. microphone(s) at last a shotgun and a lav, ext audio recorder (I'm abusing my ol' iPhone4 and a tiny box called iRig, which offer XLR connector), did I mention lights? , a good bag and a waterproof, lockable aluminium box, soft boxes for light, maybe a shoulder rig (starting at 80€), 200sq ft of some green cloth for green screening (if your school doesn't offer a 'studio') FCPX does marvel with even really bad lighted green screens, those handy foldable 'brighteners'/reflectors, to bounce light ('Rembrandt lightning') … finally tons of odds and ends, starting with gaffer tape, ending with SDcards ...

And DO things, try things, play with your stuff, make experiments just for the trash bin!

Enjoy your film school (I'm envy… 😉 )

What upgrades should I get for my MacBook pro for video editing?, What upgrades should I get for my MacBook pro for video editing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.