Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer photos from ipad to mac

Hey

I have an issues with a friend.

He has a ipad and i macbook pro, Both with newest software,

On a extern HDD he had 12000 pic's and they are sync'ed to his ipad.

Suddenly all the pictures are gone from the HDD.

The pictures in the ipad is not located in the camera roll, only in albums.

When he connects to the mac, iphoto can only import 6 pic, from the camera roll, but non of the 12000 pic are located in iphoto.

If he tries to activate icloud drive on the ipad, it says that they will be deleted.

Using airdrop is possible, but he has to tap each picture in order to send them.

IS it really true that there is absolutely no way to transfer sunc'ed pictures from a ipad to a mac...??

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 4:51 AM

5 replies

Feb 28, 2015 5:22 AM in response to kasand

I'm not sure what turning on iCloud Drive would erase synced photos, I use iCloud Drive and none of my synced photos have been erased.

There are WiFi transfer apps that you let you select a bunch of photos at a time to transfer synced photos back to a computer. There are a number of apps that can do this. I use this one and it works quite well.

http://www.wirelesstransferapp.com/

After you purchase the app on the iPad, you will have to download the app on the Mac as well, but there is no charge it on the computer.

Feb 28, 2015 5:43 AM in response to Demo

I'v recreated the issue on my own.

If i take some photos with the webcam on the mac, i then sync these to an ipad, and then deletes the photos on the mac, these photos will not be imported in iphoto, and in this case the icloud drive is not enabled on the ipad, but when i du this, the new synced photos gets deleted from the ipad.

Well when we are talking third party app's then a cloud solution like onedrive is as good as any, But i can't wrap my head around the fact that there is no standard Apple way to do this.

Not even on a windows pc can i access these pictures. Only the camera roll.

Feb 28, 2015 6:04 AM in response to kasand

What you are saying now is totally different from what you said in your first post. I'm not sure what you are doing now.

This is what I understand that you just did. You took photos, synced them to the iPad, deleted them from the Mac, then synced again and the photos were erased. When you deleted the photos from the Mac, and then you sync with iTunes again, iTunes replaces the photos that are in the iTunes library with the photos on the iPad - unless the photos on the iPad are still on the Mac and selected to sync again. When you sync photos, they must be selected to sync in each subsequent sync or they will be erased for the device, that is how syncing works, whatever you want to keep on the iPad must be selected to sync in each and every subsequent sync,

When you deleted the photos from the Mac, there was no way that they could be included in the sync again, since they no longer existed, therefore they are erased.

Just to be clear again, you cannot access synced photos in iPhoto. You can only import the photos in the camera roll, Synced photos are already on the computer and there is no need to import them again. It is up to the user to store the photos on the computer or an external drive, the iPad is not a storage device in the traditional sense. if people want to use it as their only device, it is possible to do so, but there can be consequences for doing just that.

Maybe I am still misunderstanding what you want to do, so please enlighten me if I am.

Feb 28, 2015 7:15 AM in response to Demo

I'v took two pics of my self on my mac with the webcam on the mac.

I then synced these photos to my ipad.

In order to du that, icloud photo has to be disabled on the ipad.

At this point the photos are on the mac AND the ipad.

I then delete the pics from the mac, so that only the ipad have the pics.

The question is now, how do i get these two pics BACK to my mac.?

I am aware that syncing again deletes the pics from the ipad, because the mac is "master unit" and controls what is on the ipad.

In itunes however, there is a setting to stop automatic syncing of ios units. That one i enable, so it dosn't sync automatic, when it plug the ipad to the mac.

iPhoto then have the possibility to import photos from ios units, BUT iphoto only imports from the camera roll. And given that the pics are from the mac, they are not in the camera roll, therefore iphoto wound't import them.

NOW, as i says icloud photos are disabled on the ipad in order to sync with itunes.

BUT normal icloud photostream is a bust, because that also only uses what is in the camera roll on the ipad.

Then comes the icloud drive possibility. BUT when enabling this on the ipad, deletes all photos that are not in the camera roll, as i understand it. IT warn you about this.

It deleted the two pics of my when i turned it on.

I hope this clarifies it..:)

Feb 28, 2015 8:19 AM in response to kasand

kasand wrote:

I'v took two pics of my self on my mac with the webcam on the mac.

I then synced these photos to my ipad.

In order to du that, icloud photo has to be disabled on the ipad.

If you are taking about iCloud Photo Library Beta, than your statement may very well be correct. I do not use iCloud Photo Library Beta because I want to use iPhoto as long as I can. I know nothing about iCloud Photo Library Beta. Your first post said iCloud Drive and that has nothing to do with photos. That is for data and documents.

Now I think that we are on the same page because we both know how syncing works and I also disable auto syncing. I have never synced automatically with my iOS devices and my Macs.

Photo stream does NOT work with photos in the camera roll. It works with photos in the photo stream. Photo steam photos have no relation at all to synced photos either. Every photo that Intake with my iPad is downloaded to iPhoto on my Mac because I have iPhoto set up to do so. But once again, this has no bearing at all on moving synced Photos from a computer back to the computer. The only way that I know of to get photos that were synced to an iPad from a computer is by using a third party solution like I described above.

How to transfer photos from ipad to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.