Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having trouble importing from a DVD

Hi,

I tried to import VOB files to a project but Final Cut ProX does not recognise them (they appear grey).

I then used MPEG Streamclip to convert the VOB files to MP4 - H264. Is that the way to go?

My client wants to send me all kinds of old video stuff to include in the final movie: from VHS old tapes to mini DV tapes.

What is the format I should ask him to transcode his material?

Thanks,

Jacqui

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Server, null

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 8:21 AM

H.264 works well in FCPX but if he's converting stuff or paying to have someone convert it, ask for ProRes422. Huge files, true, but easier to edit—usually, not always, as Karsten often needs to explain.

Others will have different and probably better advice, hang around for a few days before making any major decisions. I tend to think of FCPX as "just a more stupid version of FCP" instead of "today's cutting edge of editing" so my workflows are different than the power users around here.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2015 8:21 AM in response to JBRVideoProductions

H.264 works well in FCPX but if he's converting stuff or paying to have someone convert it, ask for ProRes422. Huge files, true, but easier to edit—usually, not always, as Karsten often needs to explain.

Others will have different and probably better advice, hang around for a few days before making any major decisions. I tend to think of FCPX as "just a more stupid version of FCP" instead of "today's cutting edge of editing" so my workflows are different than the power users around here.

Having trouble importing from a DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.