Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 Hacked - Put in Lost Mode

So this morning I wake up and my iPad 2 is in Lost Mode and has the message in Russian: "Устройство заблокировано. Для разблокировки свяжитесь по адресу. Call supportfon@yandex.ru". I ran translation and it means "The device is locked. To unlock contact at address.". So my iPad 2 obviously got hacked, but it's interesting because my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air didn't get put in lost mode just this one device.

I logged into iCloud from a web browser and got an email saying someone had signed in via a web browser. So the hackers didn't use iCloud.com to gain access. Anyone got any info on how they hacked it? I'm going to change my account password now.

So now on to the issue of gaining access to the iPad that's in lost mode. My lock code has been changed and when I connect it to my PC iTunes says it can't connect to it because it's in Lost Mode. Any advice on how to get back in?

Thanks,

Brandon

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 8:00 AM

9 replies

May 1, 2017 7:13 AM in response to Strider007UT

How did you get it to restore? I've gone through the steps 3 or 4 times now, and I keep getting a message in iTunes saying that the iPad can't be restored because it's locked and in lost mode. I spoke to someone at Apple Support Saturday evening, and after 2 hours of farting around, he said something about their system going down and someone would call me back in 20 minutes. It's now Monday morning, and I got no call.

Feb 28, 2015 8:33 AM in response to Strider007UT

None of this makes any sense. The only way to put the iPad in "Lost Mode" is through iCloud and the only way into iCloud requires knowledge of your Apple ID and password. My suggestions (with a bit of uncertainty):

1. Change your iCloud (Apple ID) password.

2. Go into iCloud (using the new password) and erase the iPad.

3. Log off from iCloud.

4. Connect the iPad to your computer via cable and do a Restore.

5. If you're unable to do the Restore (or it doesn't help), go into Recovery Mode per the instructions here.

Feb 28, 2015 8:37 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Thanks Philly_Phan, the hacked iPad isn't online so I can't use iCloud to erase it. It was online before so the hackers must have turned off the wifi after they hacked it? So the only option I've found is to erase it using the steps on this page:

Forgot passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

It is really concerning how they were able to gain access to it without loggin into iCloud from a web page... Apple may need to look into this or they might have a big hack outbreak on the horizon.

Feb 28, 2015 1:26 PM in response to Strider007UT

The SAME THING happened to me!! I was able to take lock mode off but it had a passcode on it I had not created, so I've had to restore it from iCloud backup.

I checked with Apple that no one accessed my iTunes info or CC, and then changed my Apple ID passwords all the way around. They also suggest you change your security questions and add two step verification.

They do not show any hack in, only that I put it in Lost Mode and added a passcode. I was not geographically near the iPad to have been able to do that so I'm very weirded out!!! I forwarded to apple the screen shots I took of the message that was sent to my iPad so they can maybe figure it out. I love puzzles. I hope you get yours working again! I wonder why this happened to us, and if it's happened to many others.

😀

Oct 18, 2015 4:38 AM in response to Strider007UT

HHello, I am having the same exact issue, my iPhone 6 and iPad mini both been hecked into my iPad is in the lost mode with that same message in Russian but with a different email address and the phone is in activation mode. I spoke to apple care support for hours spent 6 hours at the Apple Store and no one can help me at the store I was basically told that I might loose both of my devices. I had to prove that both of those were mine I was able to get the receipt for the iPhone since it was purchased only six month ago but the iPad my husband got for me for Christmas about 3 years ago from radio shack, unfortunately I lost the receipt and since radio shack filed bankruptcy they don't have any records. Me having a box for the iPad is not good enough according to Apple because I could have stolen it with the box. I'm at a loss I don't know where to go or who to contact . I drive long distances to work and I need my phone in case of an emergency. Thank you everyone.

iPad 2 Hacked - Put in Lost Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.