Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you lower the storage that the Photos app takes up?

My photos app takes up a lot of space on my iPhone and I am hoping that someone can help me figure out how to lower it. I have tried deleting photos that I don't need but the app still takes up 2.6 GB. I don't even have 100 photos but I do have a couple videos. This is really annoying because I only have the 16 GB iPhone. (I have the iPhone 5s 16 GB running IOS 8.1.3)

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 9:08 AM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Sam Swope

Hey Sam,

The iCloud Photo Library (beta) was created to address the issue you are having with storage space on your iPhone. I record a lot of videos on my iPhone, so I know that they consume more space than just about anything else. I frequently import the videos onto my computer and remove them from the iPhone to free up space. Here is some information that may help you.

iCloud Photo Library beta FAQ - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

How does iCloud Photo Library save space on my device?

If you turn on Optimize [device] Storage, iCloud Photo Library will automatically manage the size of your library on your iOS device, so you can make the most of your device's storage and access more photos than ever. iCloud Photo Library stores the original, high-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and can keep lightweight, device-optimized versions on each of your devices. As long as you have enough storage, recent photos and videos that you access the most will stay on your device at full resolution.

To turn on Optimize [device] Storage on your device, tap Settings > iCloud > Photos or Settings > Photos & Camera, then select Optimize [device] Storage. You need an Internet connection to access an original photo or video that’s stored only in iCloud.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302

Hope that helps ...

- Judy

How do you lower the storage that the Photos app takes up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.