Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where are contacts stored?

Any help?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 11:24 AM

You may try & see which one of AddressBook items in Application Support (user/Library)

or in (user/Library/Preferences) may apply to Contacts. Seems I've been unable to locate

anything in the system directly related to Contacts, except the application; & AddressBook.

Since I do not use the Contacts (not even in older Mac where the name was different) a

look through the System (see Library under GO in Finder, by pressing Opt key to toggle

the Library in the column of items accessible under Go) wasn't very productive. Some

leads into what resources and names associated with Console, were AddressBook. By

use of EasyFind, I was able to see more of those. Nothing direct to Contacts; this in a

recent Mavericks 10.9.5. In an older system, to locate this would have been very easy.

To look at items (preferences, etc) in column view where you can see creation date &

other information, a new saved Contact should appear by date & time. The Contacts file

of content is shared with other applications, so that is why it may not be evident by itself.

There should be a location for Contacts Archive (perhaps by another name, incognito.)

Not sure if this helps, though...! 🙂

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2015 11:24 AM in response to nealt2

You may try & see which one of AddressBook items in Application Support (user/Library)

or in (user/Library/Preferences) may apply to Contacts. Seems I've been unable to locate

anything in the system directly related to Contacts, except the application; & AddressBook.

Since I do not use the Contacts (not even in older Mac where the name was different) a

look through the System (see Library under GO in Finder, by pressing Opt key to toggle

the Library in the column of items accessible under Go) wasn't very productive. Some

leads into what resources and names associated with Console, were AddressBook. By

use of EasyFind, I was able to see more of those. Nothing direct to Contacts; this in a

recent Mavericks 10.9.5. In an older system, to locate this would have been very easy.

To look at items (preferences, etc) in column view where you can see creation date &

other information, a new saved Contact should appear by date & time. The Contacts file

of content is shared with other applications, so that is why it may not be evident by itself.

There should be a location for Contacts Archive (perhaps by another name, incognito.)

Not sure if this helps, though...! 🙂

Feb 28, 2015 3:04 PM in response to K Shaffer

Yes. In the Applications Support Folder there is a Folder called AddressBook. In this folder is a folder called Metadata. In here are files, one for each contact. If you double click on on of these files it comes up in Contact.

So why am I interested in this? I wanted to make sure my backup procedure was backing up my contacts. It is but I wish this data was in the Documents folder.

Feb 28, 2015 8:59 PM in response to nealt2

Yes, that was among items noticed in my 10.9.5 folder of same name;

& was not certain exact contents you sought would reside inside there.

Wonder if there was a practical reason for the choice of storage location.

Perhaps central to several applications that could draw from the archive.

metadata... hoo duh thunk et? 😝

Good to know that is where to find them, at least in this OS X version;

should I commit any personal information to AddressBook/Contacts.

where are contacts stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.