Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Wont Boot. Folder with Question Mark...

I am trying to fix my daughters 2010 13" Macbook. When it's powered on a folder with a question mark flashes. It never gets passed this screen. I don't have any install disks and I assume it has the original OS on it. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 8:54 AM

5 replies

Mar 1, 2015 11:26 AM in response to alwaystubed

Hi alwaystubed,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it sounds like the computer wont boot past a flashing question mark. I would recommend that you read these articles, they may be helpful in troubleshooting your issue.

A flashing question mark or globe appears when you start your Mac - Apple Support

Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup - Apple Support

Cheers,

Mario

Mar 2, 2015 3:07 PM in response to alwaystubed

If you have or had the original operating system for the macbook that would be 10.6.3 snow leopard. If it has a newer one then you would have a recovery partition. Command R get you there. If not ,you will need to purchase snow leopard from apple and install it. Even to check or repair the drive, without a recovery partition you need an install disk. And to upgrade to a newer operating system. you have to start with snow leopard installed.http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Macbook Wont Boot. Folder with Question Mark...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.