Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how does one release safari from us.apple-virus.help?

my safari is captured by us.apple-virus.help

iMac OS X 10.9.5 3.2 ghz i5

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 9:21 AM

7 replies

Feb 28, 2015 10:41 AM in response to snosomo

Thank you for the comments!

I am able to quit safari, but shift key does not change the restart result.

(still brings up http:us.apple-virus.help/ ...)

I am remotely connecting to my father's iMac (4 hours drive from here).

He is in his 95th year and talking him through a turning off the internet and a shift start to Safari was not going to be productive.

I put up Mozilla Firefox, which will keep him occupied until I can drive down there.

Thanks again gents. (my first thought here was this was a waste of time, ... NOT)

Feb 28, 2015 11:02 AM in response to snosomo

Turning "off" Wi-Fi might not be that much of a challenge even for him. To disconnect from the Internet, click the Wi-Fi (fan) icon in the Mac's menu bar and select Turn Wi-Fi Off.

This assumes he is not connecting to the Internet using an Ethernet cable. The Ethernet cable plugs into the back of the iMac. It locks in place with a plastic tab, like a landline phone connector.

Then, continue with the rest of the procedure in "Ransomware" web pages at Step 3.

Step 6 reverses the disconnection procedure. Your Dad has to understand that he won't be able to connect to the Internet until that step.

I am remotely connecting to my father's iMac

That makes troubleshooting so much easier, unfortunately if you were to remotely disconnect his Mac from the Internet you'll be stuck.

how does one release safari from us.apple-virus.help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.