Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone is in a mode where no buttons work. Seems like a debugging mode. How do I restore functionality? Power off and on does not change it.

Somehow I pressed a combination of buttons on my iPhone and now it is in a mode where pressing buttons only shows the button is selected and a voice prompt speaks the button. I've tried to shut down and turn back on... nothing changes. When I try to enter passcode it only speaks the code, it does not enter the code in to the spaces, so I cannot login. The phone is totally unusable in this mode. What did I do to enable this function, and how do I turn it off?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 9:54 AM

2 replies

Feb 28, 2015 10:00 AM in response to TPlemons

Try pressing the HOME button 3 times quickly. In this mode you need to double-tap anywhere that you would otherwise just tap. Once you get there go to Settings/General/Accessibility and turn off voiceover.

See: Use Accessibility features in iOS - Apple Support. You can also connect the phone to iTunes and manage your Accessibility features from there.

My iPhone is in a mode where no buttons work. Seems like a debugging mode. How do I restore functionality? Power off and on does not change it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.