Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PopUp/DropDown Menu referencing a cell with a formula?

Firstly, I know the extreme bare-bones of data sheets like Numbers. I am creating a monthly budget. (I do not like the too basic budget template offered in Numbers). Based on the Budget Template offered, how do I, if it's possible, have the PopUp/ DropDown Menu reference a range/row in another sheet? The example would be:

Charitable Donations as the DropDown option. Click on it. BUT, in the secondary sheet, I have recorded each month's donations in a row. So I have 12 entries. I want to be able to choose any one of those month's Charitable Donations to compare on the first page of my Workbook where the DropDown menu is located.

Please guide me through accomplishing this one way or another as "simply" as can be done.

This whole workbook is actually an expense workbook for self employment. So I have a yearly table on each sheet for the various expenses. I roughly have 20 sheets from Charitable Donations, Job Materials, Job Labor, Office, Tolls, etc., etc. Some of the sheets have additional tables with those expenses broken down further for other needed references come tax time. I also have an OverView table of all expense worksheets listed on this page. User uploaded fileSo keeping it separate is good for now, unless someone can reduce the work/entry being done. 🙂 So here, as you can see, monthly breakdowns. How do I have a DropDown Menu reference any Expense to any respective month to compare to a set monthly budgeted amount?User uploaded file Here is the offered Template. I like the idea of it. But I want a DropDown in Actual Column to reference an Expense in any Month chosen.

Does this make sense? Thanks for your thoughtful insights whether telling me its a terrible idea or help me to simplify it! 🙂 Lb

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), i have latest version of numbers

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 8:28 AM

4 replies

Mar 4, 2015 9:06 PM in response to lbrobeck

Hi Ibrobeck,

As a note, If you use Cmd-Shift-4 to take your screenshots you can size them to just the important parts of your screen. It took me a long time to respond because it was hard to examine your screenshots.

Here is an approach that might work for you. It made sense to me to shift the entire table at once so I put my popup month selector in A1. If you want to be able to select Jan- Adv and Feb- Fuel you would need to add a column to your table with the month popup and adjust the formula to refer to that.

User uploaded file

What this formula does is lookup the value in Table 3::A2 in column A of Table 2.

It adds 1 to the month to find the return column. For Feb that is the 3rd column. If your table has Feb in a different column you will need to adjust. It does not look for the month in table 2 it just counts columns.

This formula should be filled down.

I notice in your example that "Adv. - Mrkt - Uniforms" differs between your tables. This will not work- the categories need to have the same spellings.

Let me know if you have any questions.

quinn

Mar 9, 2015 8:22 PM in response to t quinn

Thank you, Quinn. I apologize for not responding sooner, but I needed to wait out a 3-week run of the stomach flu that hit my entire household of 6! So I am finally up and functioning again. I really like your suggestion and am going to implement it. I will let you know how it turns out for me! And thanks for the heads up on the smaller screen shot! I had no clue. 🙂 lb

PopUp/DropDown Menu referencing a cell with a formula?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.