Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has there been a fix for NewStand Freeze or Hang?

I normally do not use Newsstand so never saw this problem However to day I subscribed to the Wall Street Journal and read it on NewsStand. Without a power off and on I cannot exit the app. I saw posts that this was an issue w/iOS7 however I am at the latest iOS8.

Thanks

iPad Mini, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 9:43 AM

Newsstand is not an app. It is a special folder in which newspaper and magazine apps reside. It is a place to keep all of your periodical subscriptions organized. Since ts not an app, you do not close it. You exit by tapping the home button. Then you can close the periodical app in the same way that you close any app on your device. In iOS 8, it is done by double tapping the home button and then swiping up on the app preview thumbnail.

if your device has frozen on the Newsstand, reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at he same time for about 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen. Let go of the buttons and le the iPad start up.

EDIT - I just did some experimenting and I was able to swipe the Newsstand preview up off of the screen like any other app that I want to close. I quit using Newsstand when I dropped my subscription to SI several months ago. Perhaps the ability to close Newsstand is relatively new? An iOS a 8.1.3 feature?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2015 9:43 AM in response to MrBBQ

Newsstand is not an app. It is a special folder in which newspaper and magazine apps reside. It is a place to keep all of your periodical subscriptions organized. Since ts not an app, you do not close it. You exit by tapping the home button. Then you can close the periodical app in the same way that you close any app on your device. In iOS 8, it is done by double tapping the home button and then swiping up on the app preview thumbnail.

if your device has frozen on the Newsstand, reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at he same time for about 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen. Let go of the buttons and le the iPad start up.

EDIT - I just did some experimenting and I was able to swipe the Newsstand preview up off of the screen like any other app that I want to close. I quit using Newsstand when I dropped my subscription to SI several months ago. Perhaps the ability to close Newsstand is relatively new? An iOS a 8.1.3 feature?

Feb 28, 2015 12:59 PM in response to Demo

JJust tried it here. It bounces but does not leave like other open apps. Tried it when it is by itself and when it is open with other apps same. Tried holding the home button but get Siri, tried double tapping home button get Siri. tried reboot home and sleep as you suggested still get same result. When it is hung or cannot get to anything because it is the only "folder" open pressing the sleep button twice, off and back on, brings up the home screen. Let me try that with multiple apps and see if it is still ther or closes.

Feb 28, 2015 1:13 PM in response to MrBBQ

IIt does not matter wether there is one or many apps open. When you click on news stand it comes up and you can go to the store or just stay there. To continue to use the iPad and get back to your home screen you sleep the iPad and come back in slide to unlock home screen. The magazine or paper you open can be removed or closed but not the news stand folder. I see he issue not as closing the folder but cannot get back to home screen.

DAve

Has there been a fix for NewStand Freeze or Hang?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.