Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto keeps freezing on OS 10.10.2

When I try to edit using iPhoto editor the App freezes quite often. The problem is frequent, but not one which occurs on every attempt to edit. I have tried the iPhoto repair Cmd, Alt click iPhoto and tried all 5 options. This does not resolve the problem. It should not be a memory issue as I have 12gb of memory and over 200gb of free space on my Hard Disc.

This problem did not occur in Mavericks.

HELP

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 8:43 AM

9 replies

Mar 2, 2015 3:32 AM in response to edwardfromcoalville

Tried this but the problem is still there. Is it because my library is quite large?

How large? iPhoto can cope with 1000000 photos.

The library size will only be a problem, if your disk is too full. never let the free storage drop below 10GB at least on the system drive and on the drive where you are keeping your iPhoto Library.

Did you create a new test library as Terence Devlin suggested? How can the test library be quite large?

Mar 2, 2015 6:13 AM in response to edwardfromcoalville

So iPhoto freezes even on a new library?

Did you install new software after the upgrade to Yosemite?

Did you update to iPhoto 9.6 or are you still running iPhoto 9.5.1?

To check, if the problem occurs only in your current user account, test in a different user account, for example, sign in as the Guest User. If iPhoto is working well from a different user account, you'll know that some broken preference files or locally installed items (font, preference panes, utilities) might be interfering. (see this link: Isolating an issue by using another user account)

To check, if the problem is caused by incompatible software boot into safe mode. That will disable incompatible system extensions. iPhoto will be a bit slower in Safe mode, that is normal.

See: Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

iPhoto keeps freezing on OS 10.10.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.