Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone ever gotten VLC Player to convert properly?

Granted, it's technically not Apple software, but I use it extensively, so I thought I'd throw it out here...

I've been using VLC Player to watch videos ever since I had it on my old G4 iBook under OSX "Tiger" and every version since then, and I've never, ever, EVER seen it do a successful avi-to-mpeg4 conversion.

Even when using the "proper" settings, I either get audio without video, or VLC craps its pants with a "can't find the converter" error.

I've followed every step in every tutorial I can find, with no luck. Have I missed anything -- an improper setting, perhaps? Do I need to sacrifice a goat, or something? VLC Player is a really nifty video can opener, but for converting or transcoding, it's been total dog food.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 9:51 AM

2 replies

Mar 9, 2015 12:38 PM in response to Mike Swartzbeck

Download and use Handbrake instead.
VLC is a great player. But its main goal is just that - Player.Flip4Mac is good, but still limited.

Handbrake can convert any video file - From old school mov avi mp2 WMV FLV etc etc etc, to MP4 files. I will also allow you to convert full DVDs.

As well, you can downgrade a video, covert it to a specific "Player" (iPhone, iTunes, Android etc). Or even alter the audio (Convert 7.1,5.1 down to stereo, or stereo to mono etc)

And if you have hearing problems, you can add/remove subtitle tracks of your choosing, if you already have them (or from a DVD extraction).

For video work, or just watching movings, its a must have. Forget the rest.

Has anyone ever gotten VLC Player to convert properly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.