Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help transferring iPad mini to new computer.

Hi,

I have been using my ipad mini for about 2 years. I have always synced it to my desktop computer. I would now like to sync it to my laptop and make that my primary syncing location (my family also syncs to the desktop, want to set up my own Itunes library for personal use). Is there an easy way to change the default syncing location (so I don't have to erase the iPad?) I am using a new apple ID, but under family sharing and have access to the original content. I just want to sync under my laptop because it is more convenient. I am using the newest version of iTunes (12?). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!🙂

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1.3, iTunes 12 (I think, the newest)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 11:45 AM

4 replies

Feb 28, 2015 3:45 PM in response to robertat2

I am assuming you are auto syncing your iPad mini. If that is the case whenever you sync it then your Mini will end up being synchronous with the settings in your Library, i.e. they will match. This has been by design since the first iPod. As I said before if you copy the iTunes Folder (the top one) from the Desktop to the Laptop it will be the same Library and you won't erase anything. If you copy all of your media files from the Desktop to the Laptop you can set your sync settings in iTunes just like on the desktop and your iPad Mini will look the same as it syncs your music, etc.

If you change the settings in iTunes of the desktop from auto syncing to manually managing your music it will erase everything then you can manually drag everything back onto the Mini. When you connect to the Laptop nothing will be erased.

Help transferring iPad mini to new computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.