Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect my Time Capsule directly to the Verizon FIOS ONT?

Hi

I'm getting rid of Verizon FIOS TV and phone, but keeping FIOS Internet.

My ONT is a TELLABS 612A, the ethernet port is active and connecting to the Verizon router without a problem. The coax is gone -- toast. The Time Capsule is connected to the Verizon router and I'm running my wired and wireless network off the Time Capsule. I want to completely get rid of the Verizon router so that I'm no longer paying a router rental fee.

So I want to either:

1. Connect the TC directly to the ethernet port of the ONT and use the TC as the router.

2. Buy another ac router as a bridge. Obviously this option seems redundant.

I'm interested in the feasibility of option 1 and to hear from people regarding the setup they used.

For option 2 I'm similarly interested in hearing about the setup and replacement router they used.

Many thanks

Simon

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 1:54 PM

6 replies

Feb 28, 2015 2:15 PM in response to scbody

Just do it.. do it NOW..

Unplug the internet connection from the FIOS router and plug it into the WAN port of the TC.. and reset the TC and run it in router mode.. it should work fine.

However if it gives you issues, simply reverse the procedure.. and return to the current setup.

You can do nothing at all to FIOS..

And save (export) the current TC configuration via the airport utility so you can immediately return to it.

Mar 1, 2015 5:54 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for your enthusiastic reply.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. Despite resetting the ONT, TC, releasing and renegotiating the DHCP lease, and an hour long session with a very knowledgeable FIOS network person, no luck. Strange thing.

I'm very willing to listen to other methods and success stories!

Many thanks

Simon

Mar 2, 2015 1:20 PM in response to scbody

Ok.. this is where life gets more difficult.. and you might need a network expert to look at things.

I need numbers and screenshots.. please plug a computer directly into the ONT.. do you get internet on that computer. If so give me the whole network screenshots from the ethernet preferences.. showing me IP, subnet, gateway and DNS.

Then plug in the TC and give me the screenshots from the WAN side of the TC including the same info as above.

Do not blank out anything.. you are on a dynamic IP so it will change when you swap things around.. but I need the exact values to work on.

I can tell you the Time Capsule can have issues with fibre connections. The reason is fairly complex but it has to do with Apple being too purist in their network design.. and the reality being much messier and needing routers to be far more flexible than Apple allows. (The gateway of the connection is not contained in the subnet provided with the IP).

Or does your connection use pppoe? Some fibre connections do and Apple has definite issues with PPPOE.

Anyway some things in the end simply prove too hard.. that is the point of the test.. if it is too hard.. stick to the current setup and live with it.

I have the same issue with ADSL.. every other router works fine.. but I cannot use an apple router as the main network router. It just is a failure on the PPPOE and does not allow sufficient settings to comply with the ISP requirements.

Can I connect my Time Capsule directly to the Verizon FIOS ONT?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.