Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am I correct that none of the latest iMac's have a DVD Drive or Firewire port?

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 12:12 PM

9 replies

Feb 28, 2015 12:40 PM in response to Drew Reece

Thanks for the reply Drew. I have a SuperDrive for my MacBook pro but it runs slower than my 2008 iMacs drive. I'm a self employed designer so need efficiency and useability. Sadly might have to look away from a Mac for my next upgrade as a newbimac might be a backward step.

dont understand why they would drop the drive on a desktop computer, makes no sense.

Feb 28, 2015 12:45 PM in response to luke-lcd

Why should everyone have to pay for an optical drive when using an external only those that need have to pay. Also the optical drive is probably one of the highest failure parts on the Mac. Then to with everything switching to downloading over the web that has just finished off optical drive. The other vendors are going to be following Apple's lead on this just as they did with the floppy drive.

Feb 28, 2015 6:35 PM in response to luke-lcd

Very few people use actually use an optical drive any more. I don't believe I've used the drive in mine for than a half a dozen times in the last 3 1/2 years.

They're rapidly becoming obsolete as a storage and delivery mechanism. I haven't purchased music on an actual physical CD in years, and the last time I did so, I only did it so I could have it signed by Ian Anderson. I've never actually removed it from the jewel case. I purchased the music from iTunes prior to the concert.

Feb 28, 2015 8:34 PM in response to luke-lcd

I actually use an external optical drive as all of my family and friends (including the ones in other countries) prefer to get the movies I produce on a DVD they can put in their DVD player and watch on a big screen TV, so I will be using that technology for some time to come. I also prefer not to upload anything as most everyone thinks everything is free to download (steal) other people's content. I've used an external burner for years because the super slim vertically installed drives in iMacs were less than reliable and any media could shift by 1/100th of an inch.

My current (new) external burner is from OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3F82SD24S/

(they have others, including bluray). Mine is quiet, sturdy, and offers several plugin possibilities.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.