Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1080 60PS Convert to 1080P

I shoot in 1080 60ps then upload the SD card using ClipWrap into FCP. The files are large. After uploading I use Quicktime to convert to 1080p. The files are much smaller in size, Example 1080 60ps file 10GB + 1080p file 500mb. I match the two video clips and play them simultaneously and can see no difference at least not enough to be concerned. BUT... the file sizes are miles apart!

Question: does anyone know if there is a difference?

1) on FCP timeline?

2) know of any quality issues between 1080 60ps and 1080p?

3) visible resolution difference between 1080 60ps and 1080p?

FCP 7

iMac 2011

Sony NX3 Video Camera

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 1:12 PM

8 replies

Mar 1, 2015 9:55 AM in response to jkaiproductions

If you plan to edit in FCP, it is very well advised to do with your clips converted to ProRes, what you call the original material. FCP does not play well with H264 when it comes to processing and editing. Use such conversions once you finished editing and want to deliver your final video for viewing either to other individuals or online. It is true that one may not see differences between the original prores and the much smaller h264 but this can easily change once you playback on a bigger screen. Of course it all depends on the compression used during conversion. From what I see your converted files are almost 1/10 in size of the original. That means that the converted files are heavily compressed and are likely to have artifacts the more you enlarge them.

Mar 1, 2015 10:34 AM in response to hyphen

Thanks again Hyphen,

Great advice on saving the files to 1080p after editing with the original high quality ProRes files. By converting to the small files of 1080p I thought I was saving disk space on my external HD, but the quality of the video is the most important thing when you have a weekly television show. I will no longer used converted files for my television show. I will instead shoot 1080i 60 instead of 1080PS/60. The files will be significantly smaller and still be high quality. Or in your opinion I should continue to shoot at 1080PS/60?

You have been most helpful and I have learned more about FCP than before. I didn't know the value of "codec".

If I can pick your brain just one more time.... if I continue to use the lower 1080p files and changed the compression rate using the 1080p format - what would be a better rate and what are the steps to do so?

JKai

Mar 1, 2015 11:16 AM in response to jkaiproductions

Is this an online TV show or a conventionally broadcast one? If it is an online show then shooting interlaced is pointless, if it is a conventional broadcast, it is not, as conventional tv still uses interlaced material.

The difference in size when you shoot interlaced (60i) or progressive (30p or 60p) is negligible. The debate between prores and h264, is not about file sizes but the fact that the former is much easier to edit as it does not strain your computer's resources, ie, processor and gpu. if you search in Apple Discussions but also other forums, you will find a great number of posts concerning issues with people who try to edit H264 material in FCP, from undesired outputs to application problems to all kinds of misbehaving. H264 is a delivery codec, that means it is meant to be used only as a means of presentation of your final video. You can always deliver the final edit of your show in such a format with stunning picture quality at greatly reduced file sizes or if you wish with much heavier compression, and in turn reduced picture quality, and even smaller file sizes. How much you need to compress the files is up to you, controlled by you and applications like compressor or any other professional converter do allow you to pick the settings that best suit your output.

Mar 1, 2015 11:45 AM in response to hyphen

Yes, I am producing a conventional broadcast television show in Hawaii for music kids on Time Warner Oceanic Cable which offers HD viewing.

Yes, I have read several posts on H264 in FCP. Thank you for clarifying the intended use of H264 as a delivery codec - well explained, thank you.

And in reading what you wrote about interlaced used for conventional broadcast - I will be instead using 1080i 60. (unless you recommend another format)

I will have a conversation one day with the techs at Time Warner Oceanic Cable where to submit our weekly episodes and see what they have to suggest.

Thanks Hyphen you have been most patient and informative.

JKai

1080 60PS Convert to 1080P

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.