Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get rid of ads in Safari. Please advise something.

I have macbook late 2011 model and using Yosemite OS. I have installed 2 to 3 ad blocker extensions but still no matter what website i click or what page i click, it opens up new links and some of them says about virus and some don't. But the thing is its getting really hard to use this because of ads. Cant use or open any website without opening a ad, and then most of the time i have to quit safari in order to get rid of that ad.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 1:50 PM

7 replies

Feb 28, 2015 4:21 PM in response to Kalraa

You inadvertently installed adware. You do not need to download or install anything to fix it.

For a description of how this may have occurred, how to avoid it in the future, and for Apple's recommended actions read How to install adware. Apple's instructions are linked in the Recovery Procedure near the end of that document. Read and follow them carefully. Pay particular attention to the easily overlooked passages directing you to restart your Mac when required.

Mar 4, 2015 5:27 PM in response to Niel

hello Niel, How are you.

I have some other questions also about iCloud drive. I want to know the difference between iCloud drive and dropbox and also, how can i use iCloud drive effectively. Should i just drag/copy my files to iCloud drive and its good or there is a lot of other things also i should know about. Thank you.

May 23, 2015 7:24 AM in response to Kalraa

Do a backup.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Can't get rid of ads in Safari. Please advise something.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.