Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't believe I'm the only one this is happening to:

I have my handoff for messages, calls, etc. set up on my computer, iPad and iPhone. When I'm on my MBA all the messages pop up, alert me, etc. AND on all the other devices they also start ringing and buzzing. Is there a way (if not, may I recommend finding a way) to have the choice to MUTE the other devices when I'm actually seeing/using the service on another device. I'm not talking about the first call in, because that should go to devices until picked up. It's just once I'm using a device to communicate, the others should stop ringing, beeping, vibrating and such.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 1:14 PM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2015 12:18 PM in response to Brian Lapan

Hi,

The answer is no.

An iMessages that is coming to you is sent individually to each devices that is registered with the iMessages servers.

If a device is Off line at that moment then the iMessages will keep trying to send it until it is On line.

Once delivered the iMessage is deleted from the servers.

There appears to be a a time limit if a device is off long for a prolonged period.

However while it is in this sort of "Limbo" state you can't access it from another device.

User uploaded file

8:18 pm Sunday; March 1, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.