Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery is not charging Power source: power adapter

I am very confused by my MagSafe power adaptor.

Often I get : "Battery is not charging Power source: power adapter" with an orange LED on the adapter, Last time this happened the battery was 65% charged

Right now I have NO led on "1:33 until full. Power Source: Power adapter"

Sometimes, I get a dim green LED

Each of these becomes normal on removing and reseating the adapter.

The spring loaded pins are perfectly sprung and are clean. The receiving bit of the laptop is clean. The adapter clicks in perfectly. The battery is new enough (and this happened when the battery was replaced anyway, and beforehand).

This happened since I got a new style adapter, the one where the cable is parallel to the Macbook, not the one where it sticks out at 90 degrees. I have two of these, and it happens with both.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 4:26 PM

Power or other problems related to unexpected system sleep, shutdown, lights or fans call for anSMC reset. Read all the steps.

• If that doesn't resolve the problem, try another wall power outlet, preferably one that you know is on another circuit.
  • If that still doesn't resolve the problem, have Apple evaluate the MacBook: Genius Bar Reservations.

Before Resetting the SMC

Try each of the following steps in this order before you reset the SMC. Test the issue after completing each troubleshooting step to determine if the issue still occurs.

1. Press Command + Option + Escape to force quit any application that is not responding.
  2. Put your Mac to sleep by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Sleep. Wake the computer after it has gone to sleep.
  3. Restart your Mac by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Restart.
  4. Shut down your Mac by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Shut Down.

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if it's not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. The power adapter indicator light may cycle off / on once.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2015 4:26 PM in response to Lurkums

Power or other problems related to unexpected system sleep, shutdown, lights or fans call for anSMC reset. Read all the steps.

• If that doesn't resolve the problem, try another wall power outlet, preferably one that you know is on another circuit.
  • If that still doesn't resolve the problem, have Apple evaluate the MacBook: Genius Bar Reservations.

Before Resetting the SMC

Try each of the following steps in this order before you reset the SMC. Test the issue after completing each troubleshooting step to determine if the issue still occurs.

1. Press Command + Option + Escape to force quit any application that is not responding.
  2. Put your Mac to sleep by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Sleep. Wake the computer after it has gone to sleep.
  3. Restart your Mac by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Restart.
  4. Shut down your Mac by choosing the Apple () menu from the upper-left menu bar and then choosing Shut Down.

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if it's not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. The power adapter indicator light may cycle off / on once.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Mar 1, 2015 1:51 AM in response to John Galt

I let the battery drop to 71% and connected the cable. Orange LED.

Now we are at 87%, just clicked up to 88% with No LED showing.

0:52 until full (was 0:58 when it said 87%)

Power source: Power Adapter

I have done all the checks in the link you gave me, done them to the letter. Pins look good, receptor looks good. My lead is the L shaped one. The adapter is the 60W one

89% now, 0:49 until full

Obviously it is 'working', but weirdly

System Information:

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial Number: [redacted]

Manufacturer: SMP

Device Name: bq20z451

Pack Lot Code: 0

PCB Lot Code: 0

Firmware Version: 201

Hardware Revision: 000a

Cell Revision: 165

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 4820

Fully Charged: No

Charging: Yes

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5373

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 106

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): 1390

Voltage (mV): 12443

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 15

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake on LAN: Yes

Current Power Source: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 15

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

ID: 0x0100

Wattage (W): 60

Revision: 0x0000

Family: 0x0085

Serial Number: [redacted]

Charging: Yes

By the way, the orange LED is now on (how random is that?) 91% 0:37 until full

This is not a mission critical fault, just a weirdness

Mar 1, 2015 9:03 AM in response to Lurkums

The only LED behavior I have ever seen on portable Macs doesn't include dim or off, as long as the Mac is connected to AC power, the battery and power adapter are both the correct type, the input power is within specified limits, and the battery is installed correctly.

If Apple performed the replacement, take it back to them and tell them to do it right. The LED shouldn't fade. Something is not right. Another SMC won't hurt, but I doubt it will fix it at this point.

Mar 1, 2015 9:09 AM in response to John Galt

Now you see why I am confused, John

The battery and the adapter are both out of warranty, and both were supplied by the same bona fide Apple service centre, found through Apple.

The thing is, LED behaviour apart, it works perfectly. It's charged all the way up with the LED out, and in use all the time. Indeed, I have two adapters and each behaves the same way.

I must ask my other half what happens on her machine.

Mar 1, 2015 9:47 AM in response to Lurkums

I wish I had an explanation for you. There is a device within the small barrel connector that communicates with the Mac, and controlling the LED behavior is one of its tasks. That device requires bidirectional communication with the Mac, which could be impeded by lack of contact integrity between its conductors and the ones in the Mac's power port. You already said they're bright and clean, and the Apple Support document doesn't offer much more than that.

Since the problem is identical for two separate power adapters, the Mac's battery or DC-in board are the only likely remaining culprits. That's all I can offer.

For continued troubleshooting you can substitute any Apple power adapter that will fit the Mac's power port - the adapter's power rating is not important.

Battery is not charging Power source: power adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.