Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall Mavericks using Recovery

I have a 2010 iMac I bought from original owner. It came with Mavericks installed. The iMac began to run very slowly, I installed the original os it came with from the original disc, Snow Leopard. I retained the previous Recovery HD partition. Still running slow. I bought a new external hard drive that I will make bootable, but I want to reinstall Mavericks on the internal hard drive first. I'm using the Recovery HD to reinstall, it gives no option and goes straight to os x Mavericks install. After I log in with my apple id, a window pops up saying "This item is temporarily unavailable. Try again later." I've been trying hourly and daily for about a week and always get this message.

Does any one have a solution for this? Thanks

iMac, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2015 9:21 AM

If you haven't downloaded Mavericks before, it isn't associated with your Apple ID, and it is unlikely to download. You can check by rebooting to 10.6.8 and going to the App Store Purchases tab.

3 replies

Mar 1, 2015 10:11 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric

Yes, I don't think I can easily reinstall Mavericks, and I don't think it's necessary. I formatted the external hard drive and installed Snow Leopard from the original disc, then upgraded to 10.6.8 so I could upgrade to the current os, Yosemite. That went fine so I'm running off the external drive. It's all good. I may open up the iMac in the future to deal with the internal drive. I'd like to verify if it is a dying hard drive or a dying hard drive connector cable before opening it up, if that's possible. Ha

Reinstall Mavericks using Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.