Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail:IMAP:folders on an iPhone

How do I (or can I) view the same folders on an iPhone as I see on my desktop?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3, null

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 3:54 PM

Tap first on the account name (not "All inboxes"). Tap on the folder name.

23 replies

Feb 28, 2015 5:13 PM in response to curly1

Yes, I'm usually Larry. And I had the same experience with my mother.

In Apple Mail if you look in the bar on the left you should see a heading called "Mailboxes", then under that Inbox with one inbox for each email account (if you only have one account that will be pretty simple; I have 10 different email addresses).

If you look further down you should see Flagged, Sent, Junk, Trash, maybe Archive, Smart Mailboxes and you might see an entry with the name of your email account. Below that you should see a heading On My Mac. If your folders are listed under that heading that's why they are not syncing.

To fix it right click on the Inbox and choose New Mailbox. Create one with any name; Test is good enough. This should add an entry with the name of the account, and it should have under it the Test that you just created.

You can now just click and drag the folders to the new heading that Test belongs to and they should sync.

Note that if the folders are already listed under a heading for your account then there's a different problem that we have to troubleshoot.

Mar 1, 2015 6:37 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I setup the mailboxes just as you explained (I hope)-see screen shot. And all seemed to be right last night. But when I opened things this morning there were several new emails and none of them went, either on the iMac or on the iPhone, into the new mailboxes that had been created although they did continue to go into the old mailboxes. (The mailbox now named IMAP-iPhone had previously been named Test.)

Did I misunderstand your directions or your explanation about what would happen? They seemed quite clear.

User uploaded file

Mar 1, 2015 1:18 PM in response to curly1

On your Mac right click on any folder and choose "Synchronize." That may bring in the older messages. If it doesn't try clicking once on a folder, then go to the Mailbox menu in Apple Mail and choose "rebuild". Note that folders on the iPhone won't download until you open them. This is different from Inbox, which will download as soon as you open the Mail app on the iPhone.

Mail:IMAP:folders on an iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.