Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After update on my apple I phone , ive now been blocked and told I need a password for original owner, impossible for me to get and its all been working for me since November, so it's not stolen and his legally mine.

iive updated my phone and now im locked out of it until I get a password to original owner, which is impossible . Ive ad everything set up since November and av never had any problems . Why can't i now get nothing on the screen . Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 2:56 PM

Your phone was 'Activation Locked' by the previous owner - this doesn't show up until you reset or update it.

If a second-hand iOS device has been 'Activation locked' then only the previous owner can unlock it, either by providing you with the account ID and password, or by removing it from his list of devices (as he should have done before selling it) - please see http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4515

If you are unable to contact him to do this then I'm afraid you will not be able to use the device - there is no other way of unlocking it at all. Apple cannot unlock it for you.

You should if possible return it to wherever you bought it and ask for a refund as in this event the device is completely useless.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Softandchewy69

Your phone was 'Activation Locked' by the previous owner - this doesn't show up until you reset or update it.

If a second-hand iOS device has been 'Activation locked' then only the previous owner can unlock it, either by providing you with the account ID and password, or by removing it from his list of devices (as he should have done before selling it) - please see http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4515

If you are unable to contact him to do this then I'm afraid you will not be able to use the device - there is no other way of unlocking it at all. Apple cannot unlock it for you.

You should if possible return it to wherever you bought it and ask for a refund as in this event the device is completely useless.

Feb 28, 2015 2:57 PM in response to Softandchewy69

You have encountered Activation Lock. This is an anti-theft initiative. Even though you may have purchased it from the previous owner, you need them to remove the device from their iCloud account. Without that, you will not be able to activate the phone. Since you are not the original owner, Apple will not assist in this. You would have to have the original receipt and then go to an Apple Store. If you purchased from an individual, I doubt you got a receipt from them, but then Apple will not assist with a second hand phone.

After update on my apple I phone , ive now been blocked and told I need a password for original owner, impossible for me to get and its all been working for me since November, so it's not stolen and his legally mine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.