Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to re-install OSX using the command with R on restart does not get me to the Mac Utilities page

I have a re-furbished Mac Book 2011. It's version 10.8.5. Processor - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Memory - 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. Startup disk - Mac HD.

I want to do a complete re-install of the operating system.

I have followed the instructions in the online manual to go to the Mac OS X utilities screen so I can do a re-install.

I have held the Command key with the R key when the grey screen comes on during a restart.

The only thing I get is the desktop screen but no Utilities screen.

Help.

Thanks.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 5:17 PM

That MacBook came with 10.6.7 originally. It should have Snow Leopard install DVD to do what you.

It is too old to have the Recovery Partition on it.

If you did get the DVD when you purchased it you can call Apple and request a replacement. They will charge you a nominal fee for shipping and handling.

2 replies

I want to re-install OSX using the command with R on restart does not get me to the Mac Utilities page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.