Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Calendar alerts don't work

Hi,

Since a few weeks I don't get any alert notifications for my calendar items anymore (the notification sound still works).

I have an iPhone 4S, running iOS 8.1.3 and I'm using the stock iOS Calendar app for my Gmail Calendar.

These are my settings in the control panel:

- allow notifications

- show in Notification Center: 10

- settings for upcoming activities, invites and all other sub categories:

- show in Notification Center

- notification sound: on

- badge app icon: on

- show on lock screen: off

- alert style when unlocked: alerts

I also have 2 iPads (one first generation and one iPad Air, which is also running iOS 8.1.3), both not syncing my calendar.

But nevertheless: all notifications concerning calendars are disbaled on both iPads.

Could anyone help? Am I doing something wrong?

This is really a problem, since my calendar is quite important to me...

Thanks in advance!

Stefan

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.3, null

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 3:39 PM

18 replies

Nov 29, 2017 11:28 AM in response to stefan.braem

Still exists in iOS 10.3.3. After adding first and second alerts, the alert times will automatically switch so that the first alert occurs closest to the event. Then as the event approaches, the first alert fires first, I guess because it's the "first alert", and the second alert doesn't fire at all since it has passed. Not sure if this is still an issue with the latest iOS, I haven't yet installed. But I'm sure any Apple tech could verify, if anyone even cares, which we are all wondering since this issue has been so perpetual.

Feb 28, 2015 4:09 PM in response to sberman

Thanks for your reply sberman 🙂

Well, I know the alerts have worked while the "Show in Lock Screen" was set to "off"... But I'll try.

This isn't a solution for me however, because I don't want the notifications to appear on the lock screen (otherwise you have go to through all the notifications on your lock screen everytime you just quickly want to do something with your phone).

Feb 28, 2015 4:34 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks again sberman and Meg St._Clair 🙂

Sberman: that's true, but I'd like to reserve the lock screen option for other apps.

Meg St._Clair: That's also true, but then again: if the banners are working, why aren't the alerts?

Alerts is a possible option, the one I prefer. If they don't work, there should be a reason for that, no? 🙂

Feb 28, 2015 4:40 PM in response to stefan.braem

One of the things I've learned about doing tech support, both professionally and as a hobby, is that it's often impossible to say answer "why". Sometimes it comes down to asking how much of your life do you want to spend on the problem versus how willing you are to use a workaround. Only you can decide that.

You don't mention if you've done the standard troubles shooting: restart, reset, restore from back up, restore as new. Have you deleted the account that you're syncing your calendar to and re-added it? You may also want to reset your network settings. Setting>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. Do you have an active data connection? A data connection is required for push notifications if I recall correctly.

Best of luck.

Feb 28, 2015 4:53 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

That's certainly true Meg... 🙂

Apart from rebooting my phone several times, I haven't done any of the things you mentioned.

I first wanted to make sure it wasn't just me doing something wrong.

My phone is constantly connected to wi-fi or a mobile data connection. Thanks for the tip.

I'll try to restore my phone and see if that solves anything.

Thanks again!

May 23, 2015 4:49 AM in response to stefan.braem

I have a similar problem, only I do get a notification for calendar events, but only vibration, no sound. I've checked everything I can think of, but no sound. Problem is, obviously, is that it's hard to "hear" vibrate, esp. when the iPhone isn't on me, and I try to not keep it on me. Please help...I need to HEAR the alerts...thx...jt

May 23, 2015 5:32 AM in response to jvt999

More on same problem (no sound for calendar alerts, only vibration) -- still have the problem with Bluetooth turned off (someone suggested that on another forum). Seems this is a problem a lot of people are having, which would make it seem to be an Apple problem in one of their updates, since I never had this problem in the past (ie, before maybe 6-8 months ago?)...jt

Jun 12, 2015 12:32 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

HI,

i have had this problem with my iPhone 4s for months and i have a 5s activated this week, with exact same problem, which makes me conclude that it has *nothing* to do with the phone itself, but ratherly with some config i may have inadvertantly changed months ago and as i activated this new phone out from a backup rather than "as new iPhone", this setting has followed! So in my view, there is no way restarting the phone or things like this will change or solve the issue.

fun thing is that any alert in calendar i set on my iPhone appears everywhere at appropriste time (computer, iPad), but not where i need it: on my iPhone!....

I Have posted about this months ago, read on this, but is there someone somewhere who found a simple checkbox to solve it as i should expect?

thanks!

Rob

iOS Calendar alerts don't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.