Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just upgraded to Yosemite. iPhoto won't open. Recommends update iPhoto. Updated iPhoto, after restart, still won't open iPhoto, same msg. Appstore update check says no updates avail. Restart again, no change

Just upgraded to Yosemite. iPhoto won't open. Recommends update iPhoto. Updated iPhoto, after restart, still won't open iPhoto, same msg. App tore update check says no updates avail. Restart again, no change

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 10:32 PM

11 replies

Mar 1, 2015 9:33 AM in response to jimw91321

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try to launch iPhoto. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Mar 1, 2015 3:45 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks, issue resolved. I didn't realize the upgrade had to be installed from the app store. Didn't notice the 'Install' button on the Very Busy iPhoto screen. I did the install and after the restart iPhoto was fine. It updated my library and nothing lost or missing. Thanks for your assistance... everything's fine now.

Apr 18, 2015 10:17 PM in response to jimw91321

I am having the same issue. My iphoto is version 8, and I upgraded to yosemite 10.3.2. Iphoto now can't be opened, and doesn't appear anywhere in the app store - appears to have been discontinued. My questions: (1) are my photos lost? (2) are all my albums lost? (3) should I try downloading the library upgrader even though iphoto is gone from the app store? (4) last but not least, if I get lightroom, is there any hope that I can convert my files over there?

Thanks!!

Apr 19, 2015 12:08 AM in response to mufleta

My iphoto is version 8, and I upgraded to yosemite 10.3.2.

The current version of Yosemite is 10.3.3. If you update to that you will have two options:

1. You'll be able to install a version of iPhoto that will run, from the App Store

And

2. You will also have a copy of the new Photos.app installed. This will also work with your existing iPhoto Library.

As to your specific questions:

1. No. (Unless something has gone wrong but you're back up will cover you for that, right?)

2. Ditto.

3. Pointless without iPhoto.

4. Not as simple as it seems:

Lightroom can't read an iPhoto/Photos Library (and, indeed, vice versa), so you need to decide exactly what you're going to migrate.

If you don't mind starting over from scratch you can recover your Master (or original) photos from the iPhoto Library and start over - it'll be like you never used iPhoto at all

If you want to migrate edited versions and added metadata you're going to need to export from the Library - and that means options 1 or 2 above. You need one of those apps.

Apr 19, 2015 9:27 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you Terence. I performed the upgrade for Yosemite, but I still can't find iphoto in the App store. I'm pretty sure it's because my version of iphoto is around '08. So now what do I do? Is there any way I can update an old version of iphoto to 9.6? I thought I saw a workaround on these board but I can't find it now!

Apr 19, 2015 10:30 PM in response to mufleta

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Just upgraded to Yosemite. iPhoto won't open. Recommends update iPhoto. Updated iPhoto, after restart, still won't open iPhoto, same msg. Appstore update check says no updates avail. Restart again, no change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.