Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail doesn't download automatically.

I have set mail preferences to check for mail every 5 minutes but it does not do it. I always have to click "Get Mail." Why?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 5:31 PM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2015 3:42 AM in response to doriandsavvy

This is Apple's guide sheet.

****** Checking for new messages

You can manually check for new messages whenever you want, and you can set Mail to automatically check for you. Here are ways to check for new messages:

• To manually check and retrieve all new messages, click the Get Mail button in the Mail window or choose Mailbox > Get All New Mail. You can also Control-click the Mail icon in the Dock and choose Get New Mail from the pop-up menu.

• To manually check and retrieve messages from a specific account, choose Mailbox > Get New Mail and then choose the account name.

• To automatically check for new messages, choose Mail > Preferences, click General, and then select a frequency from the “Check for new messages” pop-up menu.

You can also select a sound to play when new messages arrive. You can set a system preference to have your modem connect to the Internet whenever Mail checks for messages.

Setting up your modem to connect automatically ... YOU WILL HAVE TO GO TO MAIL MENU > SYSTEMS PREFERENCES > AND CLICK ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT QUESTION MARK FOR THESE DETAILS.

When you receive new messages, a red circle with the number of unread messages appears on the Mail icon in the Dock. ******

But you always have to go and click on 'get mail' as far as I can see.

Mail doesn't download automatically.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.