Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" iMac (NON RETINA) video card configuration options!?

Hello,

Regarding the 27" iMac (NON RETINA) model, you have the option to upgrade to either the 2GB NVidia card or the 4GB NVidia card. I was wondering if the 4GB card is really necessary or if the 2GB card would be more than enough for my needs? I basically use a computer for normal/everyday tasks (such as E-Mail, web surfing, chat, webcaming, watching videos (which will include streaming/mirroring with Airplay to my HDTV), basic photo editing, occasional video editing (again basic personal/everyday types of editing) etc...

I am coming from a Windows world where every thing freezes up on me (I can't even use Facebook on my current Windows 8 machine without Facebook constantly freezing up on me) it's driving me insane! Granted I have a very cheap laptop right now so I'm sure most of the problems is related to the hardware but I don't want to have to deal with this if I move over to the Mac world so I want to make sure I get what I need.

I'm assuming a 4GB video card is perhaps overkill for me but wanted to make sure before I order.

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 6:39 PM

8 replies

Mar 1, 2015 3:44 AM in response to Rudegar

Are you saying that for video watching (either local media or online streaming), airplay to Apple TV, personal video editing (home vids etc) that the video card does not improve performance, whether it's a integrated card, 512MB card, 1GB card, 2GB, card, etc? If so I never knew that lol, I always thought the larger the video ram was the better overall performance your display would provide.

So if I got the standard 1GB card with the 27" model, you are saying that would provide the same performance to me as if I upgraded the card to the 2GB or 4GB card? If so I feel really stupid right now...

Mar 1, 2015 7:33 AM in response to Dayvidpriddy

Dayvidpriddy wrote:

Are you saying that for video watching (either local media or online streaming), airplay to Apple TV, personal video editing (home vids etc) that the video card does not improve performance, whether it's a integrated card, 512MB card, 1GB card, 2GB, card, etc? If so I never knew that lol, I always thought the larger the video ram was the better overall performance your display would provide.

So if I got the standard 1GB card with the 27" model, you are saying that would provide the same performance to me as if I upgraded the card to the 2GB or 4GB card? If so I feel really stupid right now...

I am, my 2011 27" iMac with a 512GPU supports Airplay and 2 AppleTV's perfectly!

27" iMac (NON RETINA) video card configuration options!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.