Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes app downloads then not updating

Hi team,

I have not been able to find a solution to this issue via Google or the apple support community.

An iOS app update fails to complete its download. It is listed as "Done" in the download page that lists active downloads. However on the iTunes Apps Updates tab it remains flagged as "Downloading". The file remains in the "E:\Users\myName\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads\appName.tmp" folder as download.app and Info.plist. I have left iTunes running for several hours and it does not update. When I restart iTunes and/or Win7, the app is there for updating and downloads again. Sometimes the second download works correctly, sometimes it takes several attempts over several days, and sometimes I get impatient and download on my iPhone (on the same network) and sync it to iTunes.

It happens approximately once a week on average, and only seems to happen to one app out of the 5 or so that download each session

Most recent failed downloads were

MS Word 1.6.1: Feb 18 and 21

YouTube 10.7.11524 Feb 24 and 25

And from files in the downloads folder, also

Calorie Counter: Feb 10 twice

4 Pics 1 Word Feb 9

Google Feb 13

User uploaded file

I'm running

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit, all patches applied, i7-3700, 16 GB

iTunes 64bit 12.1.1.4 (issue also occurred with prior versions)

I have tried reinstalling iTunes with no success.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2015 5:43 PM

Unable to find a solution but there is a workaround.

The downloaded files are located in the ~/Users/userName/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Downloads/appName folder. There are two files download.app and Info.plist. The download.app file can be copied and renamed to the appropriate app name (eg Excel 1.10.1.ipa) and then dragged into iTunes.

Bit of a stupid hack, but I guess that's apple.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2015 5:43 PM in response to acinus

Unable to find a solution but there is a workaround.

The downloaded files are located in the ~/Users/userName/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Downloads/appName folder. There are two files download.app and Info.plist. The download.app file can be copied and renamed to the appropriate app name (eg Excel 1.10.1.ipa) and then dragged into iTunes.

Bit of a stupid hack, but I guess that's apple.

itunes app downloads then not updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.