Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New computer with yosemite want to change to mavericks

I have a new Mac mini that shipped with yosemite. I'm having many problems with yosemite and would like to change the New Mac Mini to Mavericks. There is no problem with backed up files as the Mac mini is brand new and has no files except what shipped with the computer. I have made a Mavericks install USB flash drive on my old mac mini. However, if I try to boot from the flash drive on the new Mac mini, it seems that the new Mac mini does not recognize the flash drive and will not boot when I restart with alt pressed. What do I have to do to erase the Yosemite and install the Mavericks from the flash drive??

iMac 2GHz Intel, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 7:58 PM

14 replies

Feb 28, 2015 8:09 PM in response to Allan Eckert

But I have a USB flash drive with the install Mavericks OS X 10.9, which I downloaded yesterday on my old Mac mini which has Mavericks. When I put this USB drive in the new Mac mini and try to start with the option key held down, the new Mac mini will not open the start-up manager. Is there a way to open the start-up manager?

Mar 2, 2015 2:54 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric and thank you for your patience. I have 2 mac minis. One is a 2010 (not the base model, but the second) running Mavericks and my new one I bought 2 weeks ago and obviously has Yosemite. The old one's days are numbered due to an impending hard drive failure. I use a Philips 32" smart TV as my monitor. On the old mac mini, Display under system preferences would identify the monitor as Philips FTV and offered the native resolution (1366x768) as an option for the display. This gave me a picture that took up the whole screen without distortion. Yosemite identifies the monitor as a Philips FTV but offers me only two resolution options if I choose optimize for display: 1280x1024 or 800x600. If I choose optimize for Philips FTV I receive 4 different options: 1080p or 1080i or 720p or 1280x768. 1080p results in very small script, leaves a two inch black border on the desktop on the left and makes it impossible to access the dock which I have positioned on the right. The other three resolutions leave a large black border above and below the visible desktop. All four options result in a distorted desktop which makes pictures impossible to enjoy due to the distortion. The other two resolutions optimized for display are better, but not satisfactory. 1280x1024 takes up the whole screen (no black borders) but has a very elongated distortion. The least distorted is the 800x600 which Yosemite seems to prefer, but the icons are enormous and only half of Firefox or Safari screens are visible and I have to move the bars at the bottom of, and the right side of the window to view the whole page.

I can't understand why I have no problems with Mavericks and can't get a distortion free resolution with Yosemite using the same monitor.

New computer with yosemite want to change to mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.