Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes 12.1.1 freezes after I eject my ipod

I recently updated iTunes to 12.1.1 and now every time I hit the eject button for my iPod, iTunes freezes. The iPod is fine and goes back to its home screen, it's just iTunes itself that is giving me trouble. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 4:50 PM

14 replies

Mar 2, 2015 6:37 AM in response to xtina592

Good Morning xtina592,

I understand iTunes for Windows becomes unresponsive when you eject your iPod. Which iPod do you have? The resource below provides some steps to try to resolve this issue. I've highlighted the key information here for you. Click on the article for complete details.

iTunes: May become unresponsive when connecting iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203356

In rare instances, iTunes may become unresponsive when connecting an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to your computer. iTunes may become responsive again after you disconnect the device from the computer.

1. Install any available software updates for your computer.

For Windows: Refer to the documentation for your computer for instructions on using Windows Update to update your computer.

2. Update iTunes to the latest version.

For Windows: Use Apple Software Update for Windows or download iTunes from the Apple website .

3. Test with automatic syncing disabled.

For Windows: Click the Edit menu and choose Preferences. Click the Devices tab and place a check next to option to "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically." Click OK.

Reconnect your device and test to see if the issue still occurs. If your device is recognized successfully, you may be able to isolate which type of data is causing the issue. Do this by deselecting all syncing options under each of the syncing tabs and then sync. After that, re-enable your sync options one at a time until the issue returns.
If the issue only occurs when syncing data from the Info tab is enabled (For example: Contact, Calendar, Mail account or Bookmark syncing), reset Sync History on Windows.

4. Check your device for podcasts. If there are any podcasts, manually delete all podcast episodes from the device by sliding your finger across the podcast episode's name and tapping Delete. Once all podcasts are removed from your device, reconnect it to the computer, open iTunes, and test.
5. If possible, test to see if connecting your device to a different computer with the latest version of iTunes installed resolves the issue.

6. Test with iTunes plug-ins removed.
  • Quit iTunes.
  • Navigate to the following folder, based on your operating system:
  • Windows XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes Plug-ins

Windows Vista or Windows 7:
    C:\Users\[username]\App Data\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes Plug-ins

• If any files are in this folder, move them to the Desktop temporarily.
  • Open iTunes and test to see if the issue is resolved. If so, you may leave these iTunes plug-ins removed. If you wish to re-use these iTunes plug-ins, consult the vendor for the iTunes plug-ins to see if any updates are available.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Mar 28, 2015 5:14 PM in response to judysings

Thanks so much for your reply, but unfortunately it didn't solve my issue. It seems to be happening with all of my iPods, but the one I first noticed it with was with my nano 7th gen. My itunes is up to date, I even tried repairing and then uninstalling/reinstalling it with no luck, I tried testing it with automatic sync disabled, I don't have any podcasts, I don't have any itunes plug-ins, and this is the only computer I use for my music so I can't test it on another computer. If anyone has any other suggestions I would really appreciate it!

Jul 19, 2015 9:16 PM in response to xtina592

Any resolution? I just updated iTunes (after being notified to do so) and I immediately started experiencing the same issue as you. Whenever I eject my iPod, iTunes freezes. Even my iPod still appears on the upper-left hand corner of the iTunes screen, though the ejection process on the iPod is normal. I end up having to forcibly exit iTunes or shut down my computer. Very frustrating. I use Windows 7. Please any help?

Aug 5, 2015 4:25 AM in response to xtina592

I have exactly the same problem (iTunes freezes when I eject ipod). I've tried all the suggested fixes including the complete uninstall etc and still have the problem The only odd thing I notice is that although the Apple Mobile Device Driver was reinstalled on my C drive, it doesn't appear under the USB driver list as it is supposed to. I also found that if I eject the ipod using the Windows eject button, ITunes doesn't freeze but it also doesn't seem to leave the ipod in quite the right state. Has anybody got any other solutions?

Aug 5, 2015 10:29 AM in response to patrickloe

Don't bother calling tech support for a solution. I spent time on the phone with tech uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes several times and then checking out other possible solutions, but still no fix. I noticed this problem is only with my PC. My Mac works fine. Since I only connect my iPod to recharge, I've started using my iPhone plug to do so. It works. Just switch out the USB cord for the iPhone for the iPod USB cord and use the same plug. Plug into electric socket.

If you do call tech support, only do so to notify them of the problem. The technician I spoke to seemed unaware that this was an issue and thought it was brand-new. Looking at this forum, it's not a new issue. Apple needs to do something about this for us Windows users. There's a reason why I don't use my Mac as often as my PC. Having this problem with iTunes on my PC will not make me use my Mac more. Not going to happen. If this keeps up, I'll just get rid of my iPod for a non-Apple device. At this point, I'm frustrated with this and other changes Apple has made to force users to only use its ecosystem.

Aug 5, 2015 11:23 AM in response to hurhl

Adding myself to this thread as my iPod Nano also does not eject from the latest iTunes. My iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad Mini no problem - I had an older iPod Nano, one from years ago which I'd kept as there was a microphone I had which attached to it and I could record stuff and transfer to my computer. Now that I have other devices to do this I updated to the latest iPod Nano - neither my original nor my new Nano will eject properly, have to close iTunes down and then remove the cable. Not a major problem but would be interesting to see if there is a solution.

Aug 5, 2015 5:07 PM in response to xtina592

Same issue...two iPads, a classic, and a gen 2 iTouch work with no problems. Two 7th gen Nanos freeze iTunes when I try to eject--just started with the lat update. On one hand, I am glad it is not just my system, but on the other, if it is so widespread, I would think Apple would do something about it.

Aug 17, 2015 5:57 AM in response to EFC23

I'm seeing the same problem just this week with 2 iPod Nano's and a Shuffle, iPhone and iPad work fine. I've done all the usually re-install iTunes, restore iPod, latest Windows updates etc. but the eject of the iPod freezes iTunes until I end it through Ctrl, Alt, Delete though iTunes will no longer recognize the iPod until I restart my PC. I have no idea what has happened and even did a system restore to a month earlier without success. The only viable workaround I've seen is to eject the iPod using Windows.

Sep 28, 2015 7:34 AM in response to xtina592

I have the same problem. I'm running Windows 7 and have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version of iTunes twice trying to correct the problem. The Windows Task Manager says that iTunes is running fine, but it's completely unresponsive. The most annoying problem is that you have to kill iTunes through the Task Manager. Once you do that, it is hard to get iTunes to restart up unless you kill specific processes in the Task Manager. Once you do that even when you can get iTunes to restart, if you then plug in the iPod, iTunes won't recognize it. So basically, every time you plug in your iPod you have to restart your computer. For someone who rarely restarts their computer, but who frequently updates their iPod with new music, you can imagine how utterly annoying this is.

Five months since this problem has been reported. Where's the fix, Apple?

Itunes 12.1.1 freezes after I eject my ipod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.