Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have bought a time capsule to use as a storage device for movies that I want to keep on there but not on my iPad (space issues). I think I have been given wrong information as to its use and I have the wrong device. Can anyone recommend what I need

I have bought a time capsule to use as a storage device for movies that I want to keep on there but not on my iPad (space issues). I think I have been given wrong information as to its use and I have the wrong device. Can anyone recommend what I need

Airport time capsule-OTHER

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 5:08 PM

2 replies

Mar 1, 2015 1:06 PM in response to hihelenhi

It is difficult unless you tell us what format the movies are in and what player you are using?

iTunes library will not really work. The TC is not a Media Player or Media related in any way at all.

But if you store movies in one of many different formats that are available and use a player on the ipad that can read and play those files, it can work.

So we cannot help you without info.. what source are the movies from? What format are they in? What player are you using?

How flexible are you?

Can anyone recommend what I need

In the apple world with itunes you need a computer (Mac or Windows) running iTunes with a disk available to it big enough to hold your library. And some sort of router to connect the ipad and the computer in the network.

Apple intends you to use itunes in homeshare.

iOS: Setting up Home Sharing on your iOS device - Apple Support

Mar 1, 2015 4:38 PM in response to hihelenhi

Time Capsule is mostly useful as a backup device. It wasn't intended to be used as a wireless storage device for iPads and iPhones.

What you want is a "wireless storage device for iPad". They generally come with a companion app for iOS that can connect and read from the disk. Apple sells one called "SanDisk Connect 64GB Wireless Media Drive", and you can find a hundred different kinds of the same product on Amazon.

Alternately, if you're not going to be taking it places, just enable Home Sharing and stream the movies from your iTunes library on the computer you sync your iPad with.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.