Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import Quicktime .mov into iMovie 10

Is it possible to import a Quicktime movie into iMovie 10? I used to be able to do this with iMovie 9 but cannot get it to work with 10. I can drag it into an event but no clips show up. I can't believe that Apple would require a 3rd party product to get this to work.

As a separate rant, you used to be able to edit clips directly in Quicktime but Apple removed this functionality a while back; ie. deleting parts of clips rather than just trimming from the ends. It is getting tougher and tougher to do basic editing even if you stay within the Apple ecosystem...

iMovie 10, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 6:57 PM

5 replies

Mar 1, 2015 3:50 AM in response to zztop123

.mov can contain a variety of different movie formats not all of which are importable into iMovie 10. Try playing it in Quicktime player 10 - does it say it has to convert? If it converts it, the resultant file should import into iMovie 10 OK. see: OS X Mavericks: Some files may be converted when opened in QuickTime Player - Apple Support

In Quicktime 10 the way to do this is to split a movie into clips and trim each clip as required. These can then be imported into iMovie and joined as part of a project. See: QuickTime Player 10.x: Rearrange your movie’s content

Quicktime 7 Pro (which does allow removing 'middle' parts of a movie) still works in Yosemite

Geoff.

Mar 1, 2015 5:52 AM in response to GeeD

Yes. I have tried both dragging it into the event pane and importing it via the menu item. In both cases, it still says "No clips found".

At the risk of confusing things further, when I drag the file and drop it on the event pane, the entire movie does show up in the right-most top pane where I can play it but it still says "No clips found" on the left and I have no way of editing it.

Can't import Quicktime .mov into iMovie 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.